What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saguaros anyone?

neon-eon

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring li
Hey, so I planted a few saguaro seeds in a clay pot a little over two weeks ago. (not to mention a troff with assorted cactus seeds as well.) anyway, I filled the dish underneath the saguaros with water. since the pot is clay, it absorbed the water very quickly. I figured since it was a cactus it wouldn't need anymore water than that. the package says that the seeds are supposed to germinate in 3-10 days. well, a few days ago there were still no signs of activity so I've been refilling the saguaro water tray at least once a day since then. guess what?, still no growth. the tray under the troff still has water in it but there is still no growth as well. I have watered the saguaros as well as the assorted mix, from the top, a few times to see if that would wake them up. still nothing. The only sucess i've had is with my third pot, a very tiny assorted cactus growing kit. A few days ago I noticed that a couple of seeds had sprouted out of the tiny clay pot that came with the kit. It is important to note that I kept this pot covered with plastic wrap and it appeared to be very humid underneath. these seeds were probably kept the wettest. since then I've covered the saguaros and the assorted seed pots with plastic wrap, in an attempt to increase the humidity.(they are all growing underneath a bright light.) they still don't appear to be as humid as the seeds in the tiny kit, but I don't want to overwater them. also, oddly enough, the tiny kit which I'm having sucess with is the oldest, I bought it about nine months ago, while the saguaros and the assorted mix were bought about 3 and a half months ago. I find it strange that the assorted seeds which, according to the package, take up to 21 days to grow, have sprouted and the 3-10 day seeds haven't (I'm worried about the assorted ones in the troff also.) sorry if this all sounds like gibberish you, but this is my main question:

do my seeds appear dead or should I just be more patient?

its not a huge deal if they are done for though, they really weren't that expensive, I just put in a lot of effort into growing them.

Any ideas for now, or maybe just tips for the future on growing these plants would be appreciated. thanks

-peace

I planted some saguaro seed about five years ago - I still find seedlings coming up around plants transplanted from my original communal cactus pots. They seem to germinate after brief periods of overwatering, and definitely need more than the usual amount of water to get started than they do while growing. They'll mature much faster if you give them full sunlight outdoors when weather allows.
Best luck,
~Joe

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll try that and just be patient. I'll Wait and see what happens.

-peace

oh man.. i sprouted some saguaro seeds two years ago. and the cacti currently are all of 1/4th of an inch big. i still have some seed left over from that batch, wonder if they are stil viable.. probably are.

Yeah, I keep on randomly watering the saguaros but still nothing. Fortunatley three other cacti have sprouted (One of which my dad accidently crushed to death
mad.gif
) My brother keeps on telling me the saguaros are dead but I still have my hopes up. It would make sense though that cacti sprout very randomly, considering rainfall in the desert is uncommon and unpredictable.

Back