What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

safe PPM range for CPs?

Well, i had my water tested a week ago, and our water hovers aroun 19-24 PPM
Think it would be safe to use on my plants? heard from a couple people it would. just want some insight on this. Id prefer responses from people who know about it. i know hard water is 100+ PPM...

I've been told that <100 is OK for some CPs, <50 is good for most all CPs, and <25 is about the point where you stop seeing any further benefit for greater purity. But that was back when I was researching RO systems a few years back. Now that I actually have a filter, I've kind of forgotten about it. ;P
~Joe

50 is ideal and 100 is ok if flushed every so often

Yours is good to use!

19-24 ppm (parts per million) of what? That could measure a number of things in water... ammonia, nitrates, hardness, etc.
(I assume you mean water hardness...?)

19-24 ppm (parts per millon) of what?

You get the smart prize of the day. That's a very significant detail. I assumed water hardness as well.
~Joe

You get the smart prize of the day. That's a very significant detail. I assumed water hardness as well.
~Joe

Lol, no I don't. I just realized I misspelled million. Thanks anyway...

My water is 7 ppm of total dissolved solids when it comes out of my RO system. How do you test hardness?

That sounds about ideal. Lucky you! You might want to check at different times of the year, as it does vary, but still that sounds great. You also may want to filter it with a cheap conventional filter to remove chlorine etc. too.

Yeah, we have a filter connected to our fridge...gonna replace it, but its PPM is about the same. a little lower when the filter is new

I actually grew my plants outside using well water (I thought it was good before droseraguy tested it). Turned out to be ~350 parts per million. My nep looked better than ever, and the sundews didn't look too shabby. I think the occasional top watering of rain we got (once or twice every 2 weeks) was enough to keep minerals from building up.

I wish I had tap water that clean. Ours is 490 to 550 out of the tap! So I make weekly trips to buy ro water. Count yourself lucky to have such great water.

Wow those are some crazy high numbers o_o;;; yeah I feel pretty lucky now hahaha.

That sounds about ideal. Lucky you! You might want to check at different times of the year, as it does vary, but still that sounds great. You also may want to filter it with a cheap conventional filter to remove chlorine etc. too.
Good points, especially the one about checking multiple times per year. Depending on the source(s) for your municipal supply - there could be very large differences seasonally or even week to week. One example that I've seen is a town getting its water from a mountain stream for winter & spring but deep wells for summer & fall. The TDS was a step function between the two. A TDS meter & periodic testing is a cheap insurance policy (it also will let you check the rinse water of your sand or perlite to see how many ppm comes from them when mixing up new media .... :0o: )

Well, i had my water tested a week ago, and our water hovers aroun 19-24 PPM
As others have noted, this tends to be in a range that most consider acceptable. However, I usually like to think a bit about 'rules' that others use and how they fit my particular situation. For example, as another poster noted - lets say 100ppm marks the range for 'unacceptable'. If that's true and your water remains ~20-25ppm, you'll have 4-5 times as long before your media becomes as 'unacceptable' as if you were using the 100ppm water. It's not that your water is permanently ok. Of course, you must also consider your conditions and the plants you grow. Some neps & pings seem to like hardness (to some degree). Are your plants outside where they get a periodic rain flushing or are they permanently inside where water evaporates everyday - concentrating the salts?

Ron - it depends on the time of year.
My temperates are obviously outdoors all year, but my neps are inside during the winter and outside during the summer - but ive got a greenhouse going up here in a week or so thats going to change.
I imagine i will get some RO water, and once every few months flush the pots with the RO water and just water with the tap water.

Back