What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sadly, I got new plants

I have space at a community greenhouse and the Chairman has just passed away... He left me all his small collection of carnivores. I donated the majority of them to the attached conservatory that he helped to build.
I'm really sad to see him go and a little nervous to see what our new commitee will be like.

That is a sad way to get new plants but it was a nice thing you chose to do with them.  Several years ago the orchid guru at a forum having the initials GW was dying of liver disease and donated his collection to Michigan State.  The people who see them probably don't know about the collection's origin, but it's a great legacy to leave behind.

By the way, where is and who maintains & manages the community greenhouse?  That's really cool.  My town had foreclosed on a greenhouse company a decade or so ago and couldn't wait to rip 'em down and build a parking lot for the adjacent school.  Who can doubt elementary school kids would need more parking instead of a greenhouse.

it's here in New haven... Within a local park (which is the former Eli Whitney estate). This guy basically remolded the greenhouses that were attached to the mansion and created a small conservatory. There are also outdoor garden plots for rent. It's a really cool community space. It's just a hop skip and a jump from you so you should drop by sometime (hopping, skipping and jumping are optional).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it's here in New haven.
I just hope they don't take the land and build a hotel there.

I hope not either... New Haven is a dead museum.

So, the community greenhouse has been appointed a new chairman and I have been placed on the commitee. A ton of work lay ahead for us all but I'm looking forward to be apart of the decsion making process.

That's too bad.
smile_h_32.gif
Sounds like he was quite a guy. But at least his legacy will live on.

By the way, is that New Haven, CT?

yes, New haven, CT

Congrads!
smile.gif

Back