What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROSETTED question

We all know there are ROSETTED forms of VFT

However is this a Cultivar or is it just a way the plant grows and can it be captured in a Cultivar.

If that makes sense...

Noddy

I have a VFT called red rossetted, if that's what you mean. it's very small and hasn't really shown much rossett yet, but that's what it's called.

They mean rosetted in the sense that the vft will not form tall thin summer leaves, it will make spring/autumn low lying ground-hugging traps all year long. It can only be 'captured as a cultivar' through vegetative reproduction (leaf pullings/TC)

Check Bob Zeimer's CP photofinder if you want to see pics of rosette cultivar vfts, if you're wondering why they're called rosetted.

In botany rosetted means:

A circular cluster of leaves that radiate from a center at or close to the ground, as in the dandelion.

All Dionaea are rosetted.

As far as an officially registered Dionaea cultivated variety, I think this one is the worst one that somehow made it through. However, the registration isn't complete because "the standard is missing". I think that NaN is right that it's simply a typical Dionaea. I have a ton of plants that fit this description quoted from the ICPS database:
The leaves are rosetted all year, with deep red interior traps.
Personally this isn't a plant that I consider remarkable enough to name and distribute as a cultivar.

Back