What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rose-Haired Tarantulas

• Thread starter BurntSnow
  • Start date
Well, I've been thinking about getting a rose-haired tatantula because it is aggressive, slightly dangerous, and most of all FREAKING AWESOME!!! Erm, anyways, I was wondering where I could get this type of Tarantula and what I will need to provide a good home for it. I have never raised any types of spiders or tarantulas and have no experience with reptiles or small animals other than gamebirds.

Also, what's a T?

T is just short for tarantula...and sorry i dont have any advice on how to keep em, nor do i really want to get any experience with them :p

Aw, too bad. I heard that it was bad for a beginner, so I'm going to steer away from the G. Rosea. On a side note, where can I find Brachypelma, Aphonopelma(except seemanni), or Avicularia?

Well, I've been thinking about getting a rose-haired tatantula because it is aggressive, slightly dangerous, and most of all FREAKING AWESOME!!! Erm, anyways, I was wondering where I could get this type of Tarantula and what I will need to provide a good home for it. I have never raised any types of spiders or tarantulas and have no experience with reptiles or small animals other than gamebirds.

Also, what's a T?

Most rose hairs are not actually aggressive or dangerous... except mine, which tried to take out my hand the seconds time I tried holding her. Just remember that if you don't care to hold or watch this pet, it'll just be ignored and a hindrance to your plant hobby. I'm fascinated with mine, but without that special connection with handling she's pretty much a pain in the butt.

Aw, too bad. I heard that it was bad for a beginner, so I'm going to steer away from the G. Rosea. On a side note, where can I find Brachypelma, Aphonopelma(except seemanni), or Avicularia?

Edit: rosies are actually the perfect beginner T, because they're docile and very hardy. Don't know where you heard that.

SIG, thanks for the info. Would I be able to hold one? Do stores remove the stingers? I don't care, just want to know.

...Personally, I wouldn't recommend G. rosea as a first tarantula since they tend to be very unpredictable in their habits which can be frustrating for a new keeper...

Massmorels Here would be your best person to talk to on T's. I'm getting one from him. He's highly experienced in them.

SIG, thanks for the info. Would I be able to hold one? Do stores remove the stingers? I don't care, just want to know.

Most rosies are able to be held.. to make sure, try in the pet store first (ask them to try before you do though!). The "stingers" are their fangs. If they did that, they wouldn't be able to eat, and they'd grow them back at the first molt anyway. By "unpredictability" Kweef is probably talking about how weird they are. They'll show some very strange, but not harmful behavior, which can worry a newb (Like me!). So if this T is the one that interests you, go for it, though there are also plenty of other good beginner Ts. I recommend http://tarantulas.us/forums/, they're very helpful.

But it's venomous. How would I be able to hold it?

P.S.
I am forced to ask these questions because of my father.

But it's venomous. How would I be able to hold it?

P.S.
I am forced to ask these questions because of my father.

They're only venomous if they bite you. If they don't bite you, no problem, except for their uricating hairs which can be flicked off (Don't let them crawl on your face). But what's the matter with asking questions? I made a thread for every little thing before I got my rosie, and it took people a long time to explain to me that "No, tarantulas can not fly!" or crazy stuff like that. :-))

Well, I normally wouldn't even bother asking and just get a tarantula if it weren't for my dad. Also, what if it does bite me? I'd be screwed and no more T for ME. What are uricating hairs by the way and what do you mean by flicked off? (and don't worry, I most likely won't let it crawl all over my face).

Ref. my website if need be: http://massmorels.com/images/Tarantulas/G.rosea/G.rosea.htm

Think it's about time I chime in here.
1. G. rosea is the PERFECT beginner T. I'd say 99% of them are docile and chill to the point where you can just put your hand down flat in front of them, give them a slight nudge on the butt until they walk onto your hand, and then just pick them up.
2. All tarantulas are venomous (not poisonous), but not at a level that can kill a human. A bite will hurt, don't get me wrong. But no more than a bee sting..
3. I can help you get any T (species), any size, and any sex. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
4. The strange habits people are referring to with Rosies are their eating habits and mood swings. One day they are your best friend, and the next they may just want to be left alone. The best way to find out what mood your tarantula is in is to GENTLY touch their butt with the eraser end of a pencil. If they spin around and strike at it, either their really hungry, or really pissy. Also, Rosies tend to just quit eating for long periods of time for no apparent reason. So people tend to think something is wrong with their T or that they are about to molt (shed).
5. This is NOT AT ALL TRUE:

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to eat, and they'd grow them back at the first molt anyway.

The only appendage a tarantula can grow back is their legs. It takes multiple molts for a tarantula to fully regenerate a leg though. He is right about them not being able to eat though. That would be the same as just killing the T in a slow, agonizing way.

Anything else I may have missed?

Thanks so much for the info! I don't think Petco will stock with them soon, so can tarantulas be shipped? Also, are they de-fanged?

The only appendage a tarantula can grow back is their legs. It takes multiple molts for a tarantula to fully regenerate a leg though. He is right about them not being able to eat though. That would be the same as just killing the T in a slow, agonizing way.

Anything else I may have missed?

http://tarantulas.us/forums/showthread.php?t=13829&highlight=lost+fang

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=64561

http://books.google.com/books?id=rI...&resnum=9&ved=0CD0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Tarantulas will grow back fangs, as long as the venom sack is intact.

Thanks so much for the info! I don't think Petco will stock with them soon, so can tarantulas be shipped? Also, are they de-fanged?

No, tarantulas are not defanged. This is cruel, pointless, and can result in the death of the spider.

Edit:
Well, can the venom sack be removed?
Also, my other question remains. Can tarantulas be shipped?

No, the venom sack cannot be removed. Same issues, I'm not sure a T has ever even survived that. And tarantulas can be shipped, if people know how. If overnight shipping and great care is used, the mortality rate is very low.

Removing the venom sack kills the T. Also, Ts can be shipped, there are stores that sell them online.

K, so 2 things I wanna get down.
1. What's the worst-case scenario?
2. What's the change the G. Rosea would bite me?
3. So a tarantula wouldn't die if shipped?
4.. If so, massmorels, can I have a G. Rosea (calm, please, and female)? I'll pay you...trade you...etc.

4.. If so, massmorels, can I have a G. Rosea (calm, please, and female)? I'll pay you...trade you...etc.

The bite from a G.rosea is similar to a bumblebee sting.

A tarantula that is carefully packes will be fine in the mail.

Two things... four things... :-))

SIG, yes but I'm BurntSnow so 2 questions count as 1. :D
Exo, great!!!
Anyone selling a G. Rosea? Anyone?

Ro.. if you want my help you know to talk to me in private. But as long as SIG is involved I'm not.
I've been growing, breeding, and selling tarantulas for almost 12 years now. Either deal with the google kid, or PM me. Oh, and I own that book. You want it? I'll send it to you.. It's somewhat advanced though.
On a side note, in 11 1/2 years I've never seen a tarantula regenerate a broken fang. And just because someone in a discussion forum says something, it doesn't make it true. I could be wrong for all I know. But speaking from EXPERIENCE rather than google, I still say they can ONLY regenerate legs. I'm going to pull my Shultz book out and research this some more for you though.
Back to the ignore list with you SIG..

Last edited:
Back