What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RO tank upgrade

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Has anyone out there upgraded their RO tank?

I'm tired of working with 1/4" tubing connections, especially since I've been working more with irrigation supplies, the smallest I can get out of that is 1/2" (usually 3/4").

So I've been thinking of changing the 2 gallon bladder tank to a 6 gallon one... that will give me a 3/4" connection and a better flow rate for what I'm doing.

What do other people do out here than need more water? I've also seen others take giant containers and just have them filled with 50 or 100 gallons of water. But would I need a booster pump then? or does the weight of the water usually give enough pressure to flow through misting nozzles, irrigation stuff, etc?

And is there any consideration that I have to give on how the RO unit can handle such a thing? I know recovery time will be long, but still I feel my current tank is the major limiting factor.

Thanks,
Nathan

I have the original smaller tank and a bigger tank ran together.. Might as well get all the water in there you can :) I also use a supply pump to suck the water from the tanks (we all know how they slow down as we use the water) The tanks that typically come with ro systems are 3.2 gallon tanks. but it depends on your water pressure as to how much water it holds...
at 15psi they hold 1.26g
at 35 psi they hold 2.52g
at 60 psi they hold 3.17

Once I learned this I also added a booster pump, got rid of that ASO and installed a electronic pressure switch and a solenoid. That definatly increased the water in the tank (and produced that water faster) The next size tank that I know of is 14gallon. that's the other size that I have in my g/h.... That tank will hold
at 15psi 3.69g
at 35 psi 7.91g
at 60 psi 9.79

I think this year I will pick up another 14g or maybe the 20g tank...
at 15psi 5.30g
at 35 psi 11.30g
at 60 psi 14.10g

relying on gravity to drain a barrel would not be enough pressure imho. You would need a demand pump. I had alot of problems with stuff growing in mine.. I like the tanks MUCH better. Hope that helps :)
Andrew

PS I'm running a 100gpd membrane to keepem full :)

does the weight of the water usually give enough pressure to flow through misting nozzles, irrigation stuff, etc?

Static head pressure for water is 1 psig per 2.31 ft of water depth, volume has no effect, just depth...

Av

To show the difference in size... here are my two tanks back when I first installed them.

I use an RO system without the bladder tank. This is how, it really works better with >20 gal res.

Materials:
reservoir bin
toilet float assembly(plastic)
1" hole drill
3/8" to 7/8" toilet water line(typical hose from toilet to valve)
1/4" to 3/8" compression fitting(used often for icemakers)
teflon tape

First, I have a 27 gallon reservoir(big plastic storage bin) and drilled a 1" hole near the top lip(about 4" from top) of the bin.
Bend the float rod(like the nike logo) so that the float will work while the toilet assembly is in a horizontal position.
Next, install the toilet assembly(bulkhead portion) into the 1" hole(dont worry, its leak proof).
Now that its installed, wrap teflon tape around the threaded end of the toilet assembly and install the 7/8" to 3/8" toilet hose.
Now grab the 3/8" to 1/4" fitting and remove the nut and ferrule from the 3/8" end. Wrap with teflon and connect the female 3/8"(toilet hose) to the male 3/8"(compression fitting).

Thats pretty much it, just slide the 1/4" line into the compression fitting, tighten, and just turn on the ro unit. When it fills the resrvoir high enough, the toilet float will shut off flow from RO. This way, it ensures that i always have water available. if needed, just upgrade to bigger reservoir and repeat the reservoir assemly, thats it. took less than 10 minutes to put it together.

As for pumping the water out, buy a large enough pump and some length of hose and just pump the water out to your garden....

Hope its all there, I can provide pictures of my setup if needed, its basically all toilet stuff. hehe

~b

Last edited:
As I mentioned above, I picked up a new tank for this summer.. I went with the 20 gallon tank. The smaller tank is now dedicated to the 1000psi fogger. So even if i train the 14g and 20g tanks, the smaller tank still has full pressure to supply the fogger :-O Here they are all together :)

just out of curiosity...how often do you have to replace the filter on these guys?

My main problem is algae growing in the lines, and then clogging the membrane and restricting flow all together. When water clogs the membrane, if it is not caught early the membrane can be toast (since I have a booster pump it really pushes the stuff down in there) The algae also likes to clog the flow restrictors when that happens it doesn't allow the brine water to flow. Pushing more water through the membrane than should be, thus making the DI cartriges work even harder and go to waste much sooner. Both of these need to be rinsed out about every week or 2. I replace the prefilters about 4-5 times a year. (I have a feeling it will be 6 times this year) On top of the medium white tank you'll see a little white box in line. That is a water counter... I just recently added that so that I could monitor how much water is flowing through the system.
Andrew

couldnt you use some green lines to prevent algae growth? i know you can get them in blue, red and orange, but i have no idea if anyone even makes them in green.

~b

I have used all colors. And all have grown algae (except the clear that goes to the faucet oddly enough!) Red, Green, Blue, and even Black... So i just have to remember to flush everything.. when i do I shake the lines and this breaks loose the bigger stuff... I also replace the lines every 3 months or so. Remember this set up is in my g/h. so alot of light hits it. When alot of sun, hits pure water... Stuff is going to grow I fear... The RO takes out chlorine and such that would prevent this.
Andrew

Back