What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reproducing

Hi this is my first post and I live in New Zealand. I have a queston to ask people, how and what is the best way to reproduce a VFT? ie how do you get multi plants from one plant and can you buy VFT seeds? Thankyou

I think u can reproduce them via leaf cuttings. When I got my red dragon...a leaf came off with some of the white bulb part. I put it in some live sphagnum. Apparently I will know in 4-6 weeks or something if there is some propogation.

VFT's will naturally divide and make off shoots in time. these divisions will have growth points and will be genetically identical tothe parent plant.
Alex

Here's whats posted on the sticky topic at the top of this message board regarding seed production:

On the other hand if you do want seed, than you should have at least two flowers, that begin blooming at least two days apart. Get the second blooming plant, rub it's flower against against the first one's interior, and repeat for a couple of days to ensure good seed set. Once the plant is pollinated, you should make every attempt to keep these plants in optimal conditions so you can avoid unneccesary stress and complications. Optimal (at least for my plants) is 70*-80*F and around 65% Relative Humidity. The seed will ripen in about six weeks. At this time, you should crack open the now dried seed pod, and you should see several black shiny seeds. These can be sown immidiately on 50% peat/50% sand, or refridgerated for later use. They will germinate in about two weeks in humid and bright situations. Transplant after about a year of growth.

Anyone who wants to pursue seed, BEST WISHES!!

Hey there Kiwi,
I tried the leaf pulling type/ of reproduction this past summer.I did some each month to see which ones would take best. The best take was in the month of May for zone 8b. since there is a 6 month difference in our climates, I would presume maybe Nov would be ideal for you.That is if you are doing them naturally. if you are going to provide artificail heat and light I guess anytime would do.
Remember to keep them humid
Jest my 2 cents
Lois

I can't sprout seeds if my life depended on it, but as indicated earlier, they do divide and leaf cuttings are reasonably easy enough to sprout. Leaves produce a cluster of plants. Not the best picture in the world, but at the top is a cluster of VFT's sprouted from a leaf cutting of a 'Big Mouth' plant that xscd sent me earlier this year.

IMG_4302.jpg

Back