What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting Blunder...

Hi,

It's my first time in the forum sort of and it is to ask about the now reduced lifespan (probably) of my VFT.

Last night I repotted it into a 5" pot as it was in a 2.5" one with very poor soil.

I used a moss peat: perlite: sand ratio of 2:1:1 and left the existing dirt around the bulk of the roots.

However, on removal of my plant from the existing pot the leaves curled up underneath the plant making it tricky to repot. The plant got soil 'stuck' all over it as well.

After some brief panicking and recovery work it is now in the pot. One of the traps got soil in and is closed, and several other traps also closed up. It is now back in sunlight with plenty of water etc. and looks a bit better than last night. But still is a bit curly/droopy.

I have several questions:

a) What sort of chances of survival does it have?
b) Did I use the right process?
c) Is there anything I can do to ensure it's survival?
d) Any other comments welcome!

Cheers,

Dis-heartened VFT owner.

I can't speak to survival, but as to process, I have always cut the pot away from the plant--I'm out a pot, but 4" plastic pots are not expensive even by my standards.

--Steve

You did ok. the leaves closed due to the venus fly trap having stress. Give it about 3 days and it should recover.

Hi Oli, sounds like you did fine, the leaves curling under can be a real pain when you transplant but it sounds like you did fine with the awkward situation, the leaves will commonly close when the plant is handled, nothing to worry about, your plant will still have many years of fun ahead.

Yes, the leaves do tend to curl up if you repot. Your soil mix is fine and make sure you haven't buried any of the traps. The traps will reopen.
If you leave the VFT, the soil on it will dry and you can brush it off with a paintbrush.

Back