What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

regia 'aerial' root

musamusa1975

michael1975
Hi, This regia has a branch that looks like it sent down a root about an inch above the soil. (Its the dark root coming down in the pic below.) I think it's sending another two out as well--they look like pink nubs to the left and right of it. I don't remember it doing this in the past. I found one site which references aerial roots for support. If I cut it right below the aerial root, I should be able to plant it, right?
Thanks
Michael

regia.jpg

Oh good question! I've never considered that but don't know why you couldn't. Especially if it ends up activating one or two more. I wonder if piling up some LFS or something there to encourage the other two to also drop down would work.

Oh good question! I've never considered that but don't know why you couldn't. Especially if it ends up activating one or two more. I wonder if piling up some LFS or something there to encourage the other two to also drop down would work.
Thanks. I was thinking of putting some more peat there to promote the root growth--i'm bad at watering and figured the lfs would dry out faster. But now I'm wondering if I want to leave it attached and let it get a bit bushier. I was looking at big regias online and am a bit jealous of their size.

I've definitely done this successfully before. And I see at least one more root coming in - the reddish blob on the lower left of the plant. I say if you separate it and keep the soil wetter than usually for a while it will be fine.

For D. regia, and many other sundews, I remove the 'excess' root(s) and float them on top of a drainless container full of water and some long fiber sphagnum moss, then put them under the grow lights. 'Might take 4- 8 weeks but you will see sprouts coming off of the old roots in time. You can do this by taking a few roots when repotting or they can be removed from the bottom of the pot if they should grow out of the holes there.

Back