What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red traps

Can I make the traps of a common flytrap that have fully developed gain a deep blood-red hue?I can't make my traps red.

uglypho,
  Welcome to the Forum
smile.gif
!
How much direct sun is your flytrap getting. They need lots of direct sunlight to turn red.

My plant is getting 5hours of sunlight. I heard that if you starve your plant it will turn red.That's just a rumer.
AvftNo1.jpg
(Note: This is not my vft.This is a typical vft.)

It's really hard to make a typical venus flytrap get some coloration.I got mines from a hardware store.Big Mouth venus flytrap can have ultra redpurple traps.Here's some images.

VFT%20No%2008%2001.jpg

I have also heard that starving the flytrap will cause the traps to turn red, but I don't know if it is true or not. I grow my flytraps on my porch rail. They get sun from about 7:30 to 3:30 and have nice red traps.
It's possible that you have a variety that stays green.

My variety has a hint of pink in the traps.Is your typical vft the one you said was red?
smile.gif
VFT%20no%2001%2001.jpg
(I think this is my fly trap's variety.Also this is how red it is.)

They are not mines.I would love to have them though.

uglypho,

That first pic is cool, but it is not a typical. Most lilkely a "Red-Purple" VFT. I've been looking for those by the way.
smile.gif

Some VFTs only go pink, no matter how much sunlight you give them.

How about feeding your VFT a mosquito that recently fed on human blood? Uuuugh!

Leo

The first is a typical.The second and third is a big mouth.I know were to get them.www.flytraps.com has them in November.I would like to know if I could make some of my fully formed traps of the common flytrap turn red?Or does the red only appear on new growing traps if in full sun?

Back