What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Splotching, any advice?

Hello all,

I've always lurked around but haven't really posted much. Regardless, I wanted to get some advice on some red splotching going with my ventricosa x glandulifera and lowii x campanulata. Could this be too high light levels? Cold damage (although I doubt it)? Something I should be worried about? This is a recent occurrence and for some reason my vent x gland prematurely opened a forming pitcher and seems to have slowed down slightly but still has two healthy looking pitchers. The lowii x camp seems to be growing normally, fast at that. I have day temps of 77-80 and nights of 58-61. If you look closely at the growth point of the ventxgland you can see what looks like some red burning, but not for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Matt
Vent x gland

lowii x camp

Definitely looks like higher light levels, nothing to be afraid of, in fact, it means that your plants are getting a healthy amount of light! (I personally enjoy immensely the satisfying look of a flushed and well-lit Nepenthes.) If the leaves start to burn, then you may want to consider moving your plants farther from your lights. Your temps are good for these plants, the most likely cause for your early pitcher pop is a sudden fluctuation in humidity levels. If you moved or disturbed your plant recently, that could be the reason why - I remember I had a glandulifera x boschiana that I literally moved 3 inches across the tank and it popped a two inch pitcher when the previous ones were all over four.

The red blush in the foliage indicates that the plant is getting optimal light levels. Those are very healthy looking plants - nothing to worry about. Sometimes a pitcher will loosen its lid earlier than expected but unless climate conditions are way off (yours obviously aren't) then it's of no consequence.

Thats good to hear! I thought it was the high light levels. Just that premature pitchers pop through me off guard :(.

Back