What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red dragon vft

Hi,

A question about my red dragon vft. I have had it about a year and a half. It sits on a windowsill, and has done pretty well so far. It has dark red color. Lately, the traps have been staying closed, and some leaves are dying off. New leaves are forming, slowly. The windowsill is not wide, so not a lot of extra room. The "pot" is a glass vase of sorts, with a bulbous bottom,
about eleven inches tall. Growth medium up to about two inches from the top. My theory was always keep water in the lower part of the container, it would wick up and the roots would keep out of the wet area. Lately though, and this is the part I don't understand, it seems as the top of the soil is soggy yet drying out at the tips. No part of the top of the soil is growing live spagnum moss as some of my others. Does this make any sense at all? What is the fix? Thoughts, ideas? Should I repot?

before...
reddragon.jpg

Now...
rdinMay.jpg

rdinMay2.jpg

How long has it been in the current media? If over two years definitely repot it. Minerals will build up more rapidly in an undrained container and peat moss and sphagnum will break down regardless. Many growers repot/replace the medium annually.

How are you handling dormancy?

My guess is the same as Not a Number's with regards to the container without drainage building up minerals in the bottom. If you haven't repotted since you've had it, I'd repot soon. The new growth still looks to be pretty healthy, so it should recover quickly.

It really should be "soaking up the sun", as it were, in direct sunlight.

Back