What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about N. Maxima Wavy leaves and other species (pics)

• Thread starter Lucied
  • Start date
Hi, this is my second thread because the first thread is filled with so many questions and I need more specific info for this plant.

I acquired this N. Maxima wavy leaves from a grower who live in cool highland areas (around 650 metres elevation) and I live in hot lowland areas (around 8 metres elevation)

From the first time I acquired it, I dipped the roots around 15 minutes with Liquinox Start antistress root hormone and use a mix of cocopeat (common for Nepe grower in here), chopped sphagnum moss, black lava rock sand, pumice, and burnt rice husk with mixratio around 1:1:1:1:2. All already rinsed 1-2 times to reduce the minerals. ( I know it should be 3-5 times but it cost me so much). All topped with live moss and dried Catappa leaves (I use dried Catappa leaves for its tannic acid, in hope to imitate their native peat-swamp forest floor littered with dead leaves)

This is his 7th days and I dont see any badsign (fingercross). The bitemark on the leaves is from the previous grower who live in the highland village and grew him outdoor with so many insects. Now there is none in my home. I know Maxima is famous for being vigorous, and I need a lot of information to grow him better since he isn't ordinary lowland and a bit rare in my city. I put him with my other Lowlandersin this condition :
b0caff65_b88c_4979_9d1e_902beefab009.jpg

I've heard that in new changing condition, the new leaves will be normal again although all the old leaves stay wavy. What can I do to maintain his wavy leaves? Should I make the air more drier and put him indoor in air conditionered room with low humidity and cold at night?

And how about the entwined tendrils? First it entwined and looks unique but my sister accidentaly freeing the entwined tendrils. Is it OK for the pitcher'sgrowth? Should I twine them to a stick to stimulate them? What can I do to promote better pitcher growth and preventing failure pitchers?
cad0bbf5_2bf2_4206_8a55_77260694338d.jpg

2cf0147a_3dc1_4e98_b75f_fb63180d4ddf.jpg

And still about the pitchers, this one is from my Ampullaria. What can I do for this browning dried tendril? Can it be rescued or just cut it off? I think its from the shipping n transplant shock that I received it with this condition.
3dec7f71_f630_4982_be73_1f28367d597b.jpg

Last, Im planning to purchase this and need more informations, what can you tell about this? Especially the lighting they needs either shade or fullsun
N. Glabrata (is it a temperamental highlander? The seller is from lowland)
N. Glandulifera x boschiana (hardened in lowland conditions)
N. Hemsleyana
N. xCantleyii dark red variant
N. Albomarginata

Thx n regards!

You maxima looks fine but one week is way too soon to see any negative developments in my opinion. The leaves will probably revert to normal after some time to adjust. AC and dry air would not help you. Black tendrils are dead and will not come back. I would not recommend glabrata if your conditions are truly lowland.

I see. Thx for the informations. Is there any way to keep maintaining its wavy leaves?

If you mean to keep it producing wavy leaves in the future just keep it in stable conditions and allow it to acclimate properly. You should see it growing properly in a month or two with proper care.

Ok noted. Yeah thats what I mean. Thx a lot!

Back