What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about N. Jamban & N. Glabrata

• Thread starter Lucied
  • Start date
I got this two at reasonable price so I made a deal and risk to try to grow them in my LL city.

The seller put them indoor and only use cool humidifier that keep them around 70-100% humidity with only 26'c/78' F at night. He said its ok for them. But i want them to be cooler in my hand.

I put them indoor inside a poorman HL terrarium, laminated with tinfoil, filled with hydroton.

Humidity is around 50% at day and 60-70% at night (when I turned on the humidifier it reach 100% humidity).

At day the temperature is around 28' C/82' F and at night I put a coolerpack so the temperature reach 16'-18' C/60-64 F and slowly turned into 26' C/ 78' F in the morning during 8 hours period.

I put the Jamban in a mix of LFS, Perlite, and topped with live moss. The Glabrata is more airy & gravy by a mix of more perlite, bark, akadama. A bit of LFS and topped with live moss.

79a353e6_7c79_4ad1_9361_c33953fad8fc.jpg

So the questions are :

How about the humidity? Should I keep it at 50-60% at day and 100% at night? And when people say high humidity is beneficial for Nepenthes, by is humidifier enough or there must be a droplet on their leaves like when I mist them?

Can I put them in an aluminium pot so it can absorb cold better? Or there is some danger from the reaction between aluminium & water? Because I never see a grower that grow them in a metal pot.

This is their fourth day in my house. I want to know is their leaf discoloration is caused by the shock during the shipment & transplant shock or the deathly sign it will die soon? I received them with this condition. But the black coloration on Glabrata seems growing wider slowly. Should I cut it off?

4f2e5a1a_7218_4c04_a0f9_7f2f18710711.jpg

29df89b6_4ddf_417a_907b_ce76ff36b6a8.jpg

ffab33fd_d785_4eee_b766_ffa31032599b.jpg

And what's the different between coloration LED and white bulb LED? Im in dillema to put them in coloration LED growlight or with a 40w 6500K white coolday light bulb? I see most grower put Nepe only with white bulb. Why?

278c7480_3094_4c36_9529_541d71701f26.jpg

So the questions are :

1. How about the humidity? Should I keep it at 50-60% at day and 100% at night? And when people say high humidity is beneficial for Nepenthes, by is humidifier enough or there must be a droplet on their leaves like when I mist them?

2. Can I put them in an aluminium pot so it can absorb cold better? Or there is some danger from the reaction between aluminium & water? Because I never see a grower that grow them in a metal pot.

3. This is their fourth day in my house. I want to know is their leaf discoloration is caused by the shock during the shipment & transplant shock or the deathly sign it will die soon? I received them with this condition. But the black coloration on Glabrata seems growing wider slowly. Should I cut it off?

4. And what's the different between coloration LED and white bulb LED? Im in dillema to put them in coloration LED growlight or with a 40w 6500K white coolday light bulb? I see most grower put Nepe only with white bulb. Why?
I numbered your questions so I could number my answers to them.

1. That humidity should be fine, and I wouldn't bother misting the plants ever. Misting doesn't really do much.

2. Never put carnivorous plants in metal pots. The pots can leech the metals into the soil, slowly poisoning the plants.

3. The jamban is perhaps getting too much light compared with what it originally had, if all of that discoloration occurred while in your care. The "glabrata" (you'll read later why I put it in quotes) looks fine, possibly also adjusting to brighter light.

4. The bulb color is really a matter of personal preference. I know people that grow neps in colored lights, but I personally prefer white lights because you can appreciate the plants better under that lighting. Both work fine for growing plants.

Your "glabrata" doesn't look like a glabrata to me. The species has very distinct, thin leaves, that are absent on that plant. You may have been swindled. I recommend being sure to get plants that have pitchers in the future, since it makes identification easier.

Here is a picture of a real glabrata for comparison.
3zkjho7ut8f01.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh thx a lot for helping me twice n for elaborative answers. All noted!

Yeah Im a bit curious since the beginning because all of the Glabrata pics I've ever seen have a thin n slender profile like palm tree. The only similiarity is it have a very long tendril from all of the leaves. I read that Glabrata tends to grow a long tendril & pitchering in shades/darker area.

Maybe the seller get swindled too or mixed & grow wrong hybrids I dont know, since he have some hybrid HL. He will not be unresponsibly run away coz' he's my acquaintance. Hope I can make them pitchers to know its true species.

Afterall, I only pay 30$ for both so no fingercross. LoL. Or maybe I'll fingercross for it's somekind of Aristolochioides hybrid. :-))

N. glabrata

I wouldn´t be that pessimistic about the N. glabrata, there is some variation in the clones.
My plant looked like this last year:

attachment.php

And now a year later:

attachment.php
attachment.php

The pitchers grow hidden in the Sphagnum moss, I always have to search for them...
Typical for N. glabrata is the brown coloration of the stem.

Regards Joachim

Attachments

• N_glabrata_02.jpg
    N_glabrata_02.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 257
  • N_glabrata_01.jpg
    N_glabrata_01.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 236
  • N_glabrata_03.jpg
    N_glabrata_03.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 334
Woahh a very nice Glabrata u've there Joachim and also great colorations. :0o: Under what kind of light they grow?
And sometimes I wonder how some people can grow live sphagnum moss "drier", "firmer" and "denser" than me? How often u watering them? Or is it because its denser so u rarely watering the plant and make the live moss sustaining the water n humidity?

Hello Lucied,

I am using only natural light, the plant is grown in my greenhouse.
No extra lightning up to now, but in the darker winter months
additional lights to lengthen the days would be beneficial.
I water once or twice a day from above with a watering can depending
on weather and heat. Humidity drops during the hot days but goes up
during night without special means (whole July):

Luftfeuchtigkeit.jpg

The sphagnum moss grows well, because it gets enough light and a weekly
portion of very diluted fertilizer. I put about a tenth of the normal
strength of normal fertilizer in a 10 liter watering can and water all
the Nepenthes from above. All Plants and especially the moss like this.

Nepenthes_040818_small.jpg

I have some pictures from construction last year as well as actual photos
and some temperature measurement data in this thread at the German GFP-forum:

https://forum.carnivoren.org/forums/topic/43712-gew%C3%A4chshaus-nepenthes/

Google Translate might help to understand the German language.

Joachim

Last edited:
Been reading it with G-translate. Such a beautiful greenhouse with nice location u have! Must be so perfect combining bright sun with cool n drier climate of western Europe. Hope someday I can built a GH in intermediate areas in my country. If I built it in my home it will be a hell-house for the plants due to the hot, polluted n humid climate in here.

Back