What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question

If i can grow a hamata can i grow a macrophylla as easily or better???? looked at a bunch of different sources and i'm getting different feedbacks just want to know i've wanted this plant ever since i first saw it just really want to know thanks.

It depends on what your growing conditions are. What are they?

If you can successfully grow Nepenthes hamata, you can certainly grow N. macrophylla and other highlanders; in some respects, N. hamata is 'touchier" about its cultural conditions as younger plants than many other so-called "difficult" species. . .

winter never had one with current growing method expect 50 lowest low and high 65
spring fall 60 to 70
summer 67 to 78
light can adjust at will to fit the time of year.
temps are almost always in those ranges those are the highs i've seen.
Thanks for all of the help. also if you grow one could you post you conditions.

keep in mind i have no idea if macrophylla gets touchier when it gets bigger like supposedly villosa does.....BUT i have had macrophylla for about 13 months and ive had no issues with it at all......didnt even skip a beat after it got here, kept growing as happily as can be from day one without a set back i usually see with recently received plants.....humidity around 60-70%, day temps 75-85, night temps around 60 and its been doing just fine....infact jacquelineae has been a major headache compared to it, it still hasnt settled in and i got it at the same time as the macro....

winter never had one with current growing method expect 50 lowest low and high 65
spring fall 60 to 70
summer 67 to 78
light can adjust at will to fit the time of year.
temps are almost always in those ranges those are the highs i've seen.
Thanks for all of the help. also if you grow one could you post you conditions.

It would help a bit if it were cooler at night in the Summer. In Northern California (the SF Bay Area), the Summer days can reach into the eighties for a couple of days at most, but the nights are generally in the low to mid-fifties; now, with the approach of Winter, I have been getting Tb readings in the high thirties and low forties -- perfect for both highland and ultra-highlanders.

Your highest Tbs are fine but you want to work on the far more important lower end. Most highland Nepenthes are forgiving of high daytime Tbs, but nighttime is were it's at for these "touchier" species . . .

Yeah i've been looking around for a way to cheaply cool my grow chamber. Cant find it. If i could find it it would eliminate all the questions of if i can grow something cause temp lows are my biggest concern. Rattler is yours in a small tank or a large chamber. thanks.

its in a semi covered 10 gal tank in a rigged up greenhouse in my basement.....main reason i get the big temp swings is all the various T8's ive got heat up the air in the 6x6 foot "greenhouse" and it starts cooling down when the lights go off.....

Back