What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about weather

Chomp

Oops
I need to know if an adeala, and (I knew the name of it, but i forgot again, but it's a more common one) a sarr cane do well outside in a mini-bog. (the mini bog will have to be in a large pot, because the people who come to spray the lawn with pesticide and stuff, do it without telling.
Thanx guys. any help is greatly appreciated. This is a very stressful time for me because I might be giving up the terrarium here.
Thanx again,
Chomp

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Sorry, I forgot to add if that the real question is, will they be ok like this in the northeastern United States?

---------- Post added 09-05-2009 at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-04-2009 at 05:19 PM ----------

Another thing that I forgot to say. the mini bog will be at the west side of a house. (the sun sets in the west, right?Well, it's on the side that the sun sets)

Not the Adelae, that should be grown inside in bright, indirect Sun. It's tropical, it'll die outside in the cold. The Sarr is fine outside but needs to go to a cool place for the winter that stays just above freezing. I place my Sarrs and flytraps in the fridge in mid-late October. My Adelaes and other dews are in a west Window.

D. adelae won't survive outside in your area. Sarracenia of all sorts should be pretty happy (besides maybe S. minor and the really southern ones.) Try to give it a (really) big pot or mulch around it during dormancy so that it doesn't freeze too hard.
~Joe

Yes; Sarrs can freeze. I can't speak for S. minor, since I don't grow them, but my other Sarrs (and their pots) freeze solid every winter and stay frozen for months. Burying their pots and piling a thick layer of oak leaves over them protects them from our coldest temperatures (~-10F), reduces the freeze-thaw cycles and reduces drying.

I didn't mean to make it sound as though you can't let Sarrs freeze. It's just better if you use a big container or mulch to prevent the temperature from fluctuating too quickly; they like it a lot better if they freeze slowly and stay frozen all winter than if they freeze and thaw daily.
~Joe

Joe - I was responding to the post ahead of yours, which took the more extreme position that many people believe. A lot depends on the climate where someone is and that's why I mentioned how cold my "system" has proven to work for. You hit the nail on the head about repeated freezing-thawing, which probably cause much of the winter damage for most plants.

Back