What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about gas prices

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
This is what I want to know. Lets say the Chevron up the street bought gas for a certain price and then he sells the gas accordingly. So lets say he's selling it for $2.75/gallon. The fuel goes into the ground so it can be pumped to put into our cars, so it's just sitting there underground. Then WHY does he think he can put the price up to $2.82/gallon the very next day? He already bought it at a certain price, then after he gets it, why does the price go up? It's just sitting there waiting to be bought by us. Do you see what I'm getting at? Just because the oil price goes up the next day, it shouldn't effect what was already bought! I understand that if the NEXT time he buys gas, the price had gone up by the barrel, so he has to charge more THAT time....but not while it's sitting in the ground already paid for! It's like going to the grocery store and wanting to buy...lets say a green pepper, and it's 99 cents/pound, but then a produce guy comes out while you're picking out a green pepper and says, "sorry, the price of green peppers just went up, so it's now $1.99/pound". They don't do that at grocery stores, so why do it with gas??

I have wondered that same thing and I heard an explanation to that. But I don't remember what it was. I remember thinking the answer was BS.

Is gas just 2.82 there?? If so...don't complain! lol

[Never thought I'd see the day when I'd say "just" about 2.82 gas]

kinda pisses ya off, doesn't it?

I don't think that there are any other readily sold goods that have this pricing scheme. I'm afraid you'll need to ask the CEOs why this is. From what I've heard, the gas station owners get told what the price is and have to adjust accordingly. MY question is how a gas station is selling gas for $3.84 and a station run by the SAME FREAKIN' COMPANY is $3.95 at the other locations?

I believe it's based on gas projections six months from now.

xvart.

Since gas is such a price volatile product, I don't believe the product is ever owned by the store. A way to think of it for example, BP owns & is manufacturing the gas all the way until it's in your tank. As a result, they can change the price of the product anywhere along the manufacturing process, including while it's in the tanks at the station. The owner of the station is told what base level gas should be set at. Lets say they are told, gas in your tanks is now $4 a gallon, the store owner can decide to sell it at $4+. Depending on competition, he may set it at $4, $4.10, $4.40 etc. I bet he or she then has to pay again another 2-15% of whatever extra 'bonus' price back to BP. But the 'phone call' can come in from BP telling the store owner you have a new price at any time.

After getting that call, the owner has to make a choice. Selling the gas at a lower price closer to the baseline price, will draw more people to buy your candy, soda, nasty hot dogs, etc. Selling it above the baseline gets you more money from gas, but fewer cars.

Currently store owners are now being hit with this as well. When I goto the pump I put in $25. I always put in $25 no matter if it's at $2 a gallon or $4 a gallon. Many people do that as well. I just have to drive less on $4 a gallon than I did at $2. But now store owners who may be selling gas at $.20 above the baseline are making only $1.25 from me on gas instead of $2.50. Hence, their main income product is getting cut in half.

Its based on BS.

If that's the reason, then why aren't groceries priced on what they think food will sell for 6 months from now? Hell, make it a year from now! I guess the roof repair guy will send me a bill saying "This is what we'd charge you next year to fix your roof...but we're charging you that price now."

C'mon!!

-----------------
I don't fault the store owners. I know they are caught in the crunch. Its the few major oil companies and the oil producers AND the speculators creating this. That's why there has been an investigation underway for the last 6 months. Oh...have to add, I don't think the fuel-guzzling public is not also sharing blame in this crisis.

If that's the reason, then why aren't groceries priced on what they think food will sell for 6 months from now?

It works the same way with food though. That's what the futures market is about. When a frost comes and destroys the orange crop early, the market reacts and changes their price. I don't think food reacts as quickly, but it still feels ripple effects due to things like that. Market investors try to predict the future of a crop and gauge how much it should be sold at. If corn has a great year, you're going to see .10 an ear. If a drought comes and hits it combined with a new use for corn (besides food, feed, and awesome Halloween decor) but as gas too; expect it to be .30 or more an ear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_exchange

This is kind of off subject but I do remember hearing on the news a while back that gas prices were actually going up less than oil prices by comparison. They said it was because we still had oil in reserve at the refineries bought at a lower price so it was keeping the price of gas from spiking as high as the price of oil. However as those gas reserves are depleted the gas prices are going to go up until they're inflated as much as oil prices.

Another reason no one mentioned is that you pay the market price for gas, it doesn't matter what the producer or anyone else bought it for. This even happens with food and everything else. Last week at the store the same box of rice I bought was .15 cheaper but I am willing to bet the store didn't sell every last box of rice last week and with the way restocking is usually done I likely bought an older box of rice. It happens, when prices adjust the market changes what they charge for an item. The difference between food and gas is that gas is much more volatile as someone mention, its not likely that rice will go down .10 next week then jump up .30 the week after only to drop .45 a week after that. Now gas thats a real possibility.

This is a good discussion....but the outcome still sucks, lol.

PAK: No, that was just an example price. The Chevron up the street is selling gas for $3.97, but at another gas station that's near my husbands work it's only $3.84, so he gets it there.

They said the price of gas will be at $4 by the 4th of July. It's already there, so does that mean it'll be at $5 instead?
:nono:

A quick note: Based on a bit of googling, most generic corner gas stations have an underground tank of 10,000 to 15,000 gallons.

If you think about that, it's only 1000 to 1500 fill-ups of 10 gallons per customer. Now think about how many people are at a station at any given time, and how long it takes for them to do so. Even in the case of the 15,000 gallon tank, that's a bit more than 200 customers per day, which comes down to only one customer every few minutes (which fits with what I see at the pump).

Given that, it seems that the gas station probably exhausts most of its reserve inside of a week, two weeks at most, so they're hardly hoarding gas for months on end to make obscene profits.

Mokele

I've read that local price differences are based upon how much the local economy can handle. If a certain area is convenient and gets lots of traffic that can afford to pay more, gas stations in the area will raise their prices. Unfortunate for the middle to lower class.

gas stations only make $0.01 or $0.02 per gallon.....gas stations make their money off of items sold inside........if gas prices go up elsewhere they have to raise the price of the gas they have in their storage tanks or they cant afford to fill up their bulk tanks on the next delivery.......which is why lots of mom and pop gas stations are going out of business or quit selling gas......

Full disclosure: I'm going to sound like a Republican married to Exxon in the following. I'm not, but I just finished nearly 16 years dealing with gas stations for an environmental agency. Now that I've moved on, this post has awakened some nostalgia and I've written too much.

Gasoline is a commodity and commodity prices vary. Go down to Agway to buy 50 lbs of animal feed and or over to the fish restaurant for a lobster dinner and today's price might not be yesterday's. CT has laws prohibiting a gas station from raising its prices on previously delivered fuel, but most stations get deliveries at least every few days, making it easy to blame any increase on a new delivery. So the prices can rise quickly.

By the way, of course gas prices are higher in a wealthy area. Gas station properties down in CT's wealthy Republican strongholds sell for millions of $ more than similar properties here. Those wealthy towns also impose all kinds of restrictions on hours of operation, site upgrades and so on that limit their sales. Higher costs divided into lower sales = higher prices. If the people will pay those prices, the gas stations remain gas stations. Otherwise, they'll become something else. As Rattler said, they do make a lot off of junk food sales.

Prices aren't only high in wealthy areas, by the way. They're high in poorer communities too, whether in a ghetto or out in the middle of nowhere, because much less gas gets sold and that cost/sales equation strikes again. Sprawling suburbs seem to have the lowest prices, since there's enough income to support plenty of business, people are driving every which way, boosting sales volumes, and towns are desperate for whatever commercial development they can get, so they make it easy for gas stations do whatever they want to increase their customer base.

Gas stations usually have at least a couple tanks and most around here have something in the range of 15,000 - 30,000 gallons of total storage. Gasoline prices being what they are, most of those tanks aren't being filled all the way. Even at the lower wholesale prices, there can be $100,000 in the ground. Most of those big suburban stations are selling 1,500,000 gallons or more per year, so a lot of money passes through their hands and they can make a good income on a pretty small margin. With rapidly rising prices, that business model can fall apart, since the gas station have to pay more to fill the tanks today than they put in the register while emptying them yesterday. It can become a serious cash flow problem and, as Rattler also said, places can go out of business. They keep ordering less and less gas and, eventually, they don't order any at all.

Gas stations are the market at work in the real world. The powerful game the system, the weak lose their shirts, a resource is wasted, there's plenty of pollution and those getting the benefits don't pay all the costs. It's all of capitalism's advantages and flaws in plain sight.

I read some stuff a while ago that talked about what rattler said. The goal of a gas station is to have the cheapest gas in the area to lure people to your station, so that they will buy lottery tickets/drinks/twinkies/etc. I think the profit solely from gas sales is ridiculously low.

I have no faith in the American free enterprise system whatsoever, and we're all going to die a very slow death at this rate. That's all I've got to say about that.

This is a good discussion....but the outcome still sucks, lol.

PAK: No, that was just an example price. The Chevron up the street is selling gas for $3.97, but at another gas station that's near my husbands work it's only $3.84, so he gets it there.

They said the price of gas will be at $4 by the 4th of July. It's already there, so does that mean it'll be at $5 instead?
:nono:

Wow... Ours is already around 4.50 a gallon (give or take 5 cents). :-(

I hear that. I remember a while back when we had all the hurricanes hit Florida and I was gawking at some price gougers selling gas at 5 dollars a gallon.... At the time I thought that was ridiculous. Now, here in LA, I won't bat an eyelash when we cap 5 bucks. Sigh, I remember the good ol' days in Florida with $.98 gas....

just wait till it hits 200 dollars a barrel at the end of the year.

oh yea I just thought about it too

remember you old folks, when you could just fill up a tank of gas and go on road trips?

How many of us younger generations can do this now? We have to plan months in advance!

I think California has one of the highest prices for gas right now. Florida is still one of the lowest, so far.

Back