What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice shots of sundews.

Are you supposed to take macro pics with the lens like RIGHT next to the plants? I never did... I always zoomed in a bit and did the rest on the computer.

I tried to move the camera away and use the 12X zoom and even using a little zoom would throw it out of focus.

Lets put yours and mine side by side so we can see the improvements.

183053234O078026101.jpg

droseratest.jpg

Hum? They seem cropped at exactly the same spot. Whats the differece?

......actually it does not look that different at all. xD

This failed tip brought to you by: Me! *thumbs up*

Edit: They are cropped at the same spot, I just said that sometimes if you make it smaller, it makes it look better cuz some of the bad details become slightly less visible... it failed in this example. >_>

Well I still think your pic looks way better than mine.

Oh? Really? Just less grainy I s'pose. Really all I did was resize it.

The proper way to take macro shots is to of course put it in macro mode, then zoom all the way out(on some nikons, it's a little different). It sounds like maybe you're stepping back and zooming all the way in. I looked at the specs. On your camera you need to be at least 5cm away from the plant, or roughly 2 inches. Any closer and it can't focus.

Clint,what model Sony do you have?I have the DSC-H2,6mp,12xoptical zoom.It takes some nice macro shots.

Jerry

Ummm.... I dunno lol. It's 5 megapixels and says mpegmovie VX at the top.

Had no idea you had to get within 2 inches. And my hands aren't perfectly steady. I need a tripod but sometimes you can't use a tripod.

Just sit it on like.. a book or something. *shrugs* A uh... ghetto tripod if you will.

I'm been practicing with the software to enhance the pics. I think I have it down pretty good. One flaw with this camera is that when you use the flash on close up shots the huge lens gets in the way and casts a shadow on half of the pic.

189022532O794066884.jpg

189022542O509248150.jpg

I guess that's why you spend $300 on the detachable flash. :-(

Get a piece of white or silver poster board and try bouncing the light off of that to fill in the shadow. The camera should be doing through the lens metering for the flash and should compensate.

Looks good otherwise :banana2:

Back