What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POTS?

hello
i wondering if anyone has some spare containers of any size laying around that there not using.?
~kgrudz

Andrew sells them at flytrapshop.com, if you're looking to buy them.

alright yeah im probably just gonna do that. cuz i went to homedepot and lowes today and both dont have anything since its winter.

I use the bottoms of 2 and 3 liter soda bottles. Cheap and highly customizable. And I make them as a I need them. I cut them to the height I need them and drill four holes in the bottom. I actually prefer them over the plastic pots I used to buy at Home Depot. I even use the 3 liter bottles as watering trays for the 2 liter bottoms, because they fit perfectly one within the other. Plus they take up a lot less space than other kinds of watering trays.

-Hermes.

wow hermes. that was an awesome idea im gonna try that right now.
thanks alot
~kgrudz

What kind of plants are you looking to put into them? My preferred pots for Dionaea have become the insulted beverage cups that you can buy at the Dollar Tree in packs of 20 for $1. They help insulate the roots of the plants to keep them from getting too hot in the summer and the white sides of the cup also don't heat up in direct sunlight so they stay cool. Your plants will thank you for the insulation and more stable soil temperatures by growing healthy root systems which produces larger plants.

You can also use them for baby Sarracenia, but full grown Sarrs don't fit too well in them.

<clip> Plus they take up a lot less space than other kinds of watering trays.

-Hermes.

I don't know about that. I can't see how round bottle bottoms with make use of room better than square pots. Even when you mix sizes... they still do pretty good about using all possible space IMHO. Plus it looks cool :-O

Andrew

Some Sarrs from March last year (mostly in 3.5" but up front you see some 4.5" and in the back left you see some 2 1/4")
0317091744.jpg

Some flytraps from last year, mostly in 2 1/4" but some in 3.5" as well.
P1010487_001.JPG

im looking for just smaller size because im getting a bunch of seeds (including seeds from andrew) and i want to transplant my drosera in something a little bigger.

The 2 1/4 are a great "small" pot size. That being said, I potted my Sarr seeds in the 3.5"ers

P4200202.JPG

P9190578.JPG

I use 2 1/4" for anything that will fit :blush: Here is my D. capensis "All Red" tray and some transplanted out to their own small pots.

P7060018.JPG

Andrew

so do u recommend just buying those size pots instead of making them from 2 liter bottles?

Yogurt containers work really well, though they aren't too attractive.

I have to agree with Andrew, square pots fit nice and snugly together, and they are of great quality(I bought 10 of each of the 3 sizes). If you can afford them(15$), go for it, AND you'd be supporting TF! ;)

And it's much nicer to look at.

Well anything you can find that look decent. can hold mix and have a drain hole on the bottom :D Thats a POT.I Use the Cube of death from lowes and drill a hole on the bottom. and voila its a nice looking clear plastic tall pot :D

so do u recommend just buying those size pots instead of making them from 2 liter bottles?

Well, you can do whatever you want :) It really comes down to what you want to do- I'm just showing my preference (just like others in this topic have with their ideas) I'm not sure I'd want to try and move something potted in the bottom of a bottle. Just seems too flimsy to me which could easily cause a drop or spill. I tried before to use random different things for pots, but I didn't like how it looked, and they also seemed to deteriorate very quickly after being under the lights (not like in a week, but most definitely quicker than a pot that is made to be in those conditions).

I have to agree with Andrew, square pots fit nice and snugly together, and they are of great quality(I bought 10 of each of the 3 sizes). If you can afford them(15$), go for it, AND you'd be supporting TF! ;)

And it's much nicer to look at.

:bigthumpup:

Yogurt containers work really well, though they aren't too attractive.
... and they also seemed to deteriorate very quickly after being under the lights (not like in a week, but most definitely quicker than a pot that is made to be in those conditions).
A few years back, someone on the forum recommended yogurt containers for plant pots (with no warnings). I planted a bunch of stuff in them and a few months later, they literally disintegrated - usually at a bad time - like just before bedtime when you wanted a closer look at that blotch that might be an aphid .... pick up the pot and the container falls apart. Now there's a mess and you disrupted the plant's growth (or maybe ripped it apart) & now you've got to find another pot, mix up new media .... :0o: :censor:

i like the trays from Ralph's that has salads and stuff that have the lid that clips on and the water rains back on them. or the one that the fried chicken comes in, its like five or so is good if you put it in the dishwasher it makes the greasy grease come off.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

just plant the yourgt containers in bigger pots before its too late. thats the most green idea!

Back