What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posting Preference Question

• Thread starter Igrow
  • Start date
I'm on a dial-up, I have three different locations I call home and there is no High Speed connections available at any of the three.

I think I am becoming a minority......

I like to make photo post's...but...would the bulk of the viewers rather see a post that is heavily laden with images, done in full size format (640x480 under 100kb) or a fast loading thumbnail image that is a click-able link to the full size image?

For me, some posts are so large, I often don't have the time to wait for them to load.
But I could see people with High Speed connections seeing the thumbs as a nuisance?

Whats best for you?

I prefer large photos; however, I like it best when they are sized to fit on the screen without having to scroll over since that messes up the posts above and below the photos and having to scroll over reading one long line.

xvart.

I prefer large photos; however, I like it best when they are sized to fit on the screen without having to scroll over since that messes up the posts above and below the photos and having to scroll over reading one long line.

xvart.
I agree with xvart. I too am a dial up user and wait a couple of minutes before a thread with large pictures opens. I prefer to have big pictures in a thread that load all at once than having small thumbnails and then having to open a whole separate window to load the actual sized pictures.

I prefer to have big pictures in a thread that load all at once than having small thumbnails and then having to open a whole separate window to load the actual sized pictures.

And that is exactly my question, you've stated it better than I. Thanks for your response.

At home, I am on dial-up. SUPPOSEDLY people are to resize their photos to make them internet friendly. But as I'm sure you've noticed, some people don't do it.

Everyone knows I'm the "photo Nazi". I try to remind people to resize pics.

Glad to know there are still some of us modem dinosaurs out there. :)

I limit my photo sizes to 800 x 600 pixels as that fits on a 1024 x 768 screen without scrolling. I can resize them easy enough on photobucket if it's a problem.

There's a preference not to show images in messages but what's the fun of that?

You can always use the archive mode which is text too and not a lot of fun either.

SUPPOSEDLY people are to resize their photos to make them internet friendly. But as I'm sure you've noticed, some people don't do it.

Everyone knows I'm the "photo Nazi". :)

So, Photo Nazi, in your opinion, what do you consider "Internet friendly"?

Here is how I see it..

For me, in the days of single meg-pixel cameras, I'd size a pic down to 30 to 50kb for a post.

I'll just reference file size here, those that don't know enough to re-size photo dimensions, should hold off on posting images until they get that down pat...

Now days, with 5 to 8 mega-pixel cameras being the norm, resizing these huge images to the 100kb range is about all you can do, if you want anything left of the original image.

Sometimes, with some photos, 100kb is even hard to do if a photo has detail that the poster feels is important to maintain for the information he wishes it to offer.

I'll do a 250 to 300kb photo post in a heart beat if there is only a single image involved in the post and there is specific detail that requires the size to maintain the integrity of the image.

All of this is what raised the question of the thumb/link option for me.
You'll soon see why I am asking....

Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words, that's why photo posts get more views in most the forums I've ever been involved in....

If you want to work a little more you can crop the other non-important details out and cut down the file size considerably.

xvart.

About 95% of the images I post are crop's.
I guess I've never got the proper composition thing down pat when taking a photo....

I don't really crop to downsize. I run a image optimizer which gives me the opportunity to apply as much jpeg compression as a image can bare without loss of quality.

Back