What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible cooling/circulating thing for terrarium?

More than likely the fans will lower humidity, if you supplement that as well then you will get some evaporational cooling

Here is mine, but I run mine only when the lights are on. But as you can see my plants are very close to the lights (6 bulb T5)
Without it I would have an oven.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eu8wUivwEdQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eu8wUivwEdQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

just my 2 cents based on my experiences, ymmv
;)

how do you achieve that flow of mist. you have a single fan, and then a humidifier feeding in ?

yes, In my experience... keeping the humidifier external prevents a lot of problems and increases humidifier life (algae, bacteria growth... etc)

Plus I'm constantly bringing in fresh air, then cooling and humidifying it.
If you was to recirculate then the benefits are reduced as the return air's humidity increases. I have found it to be much more effective this way.

The humidifier i use has a variable output, and its easy enough to find that "sweet spot" regardless of ambient conditions

i have the same rack as you ! except mine just holds my outdoor plants. so you rigged it with a light fixture, then the fan, humidifier, and wrapped with mylar?

Not Mylar but foil covered foam insulation panels (home construction... cheap, easy to work with and efficient)

I took parts of two of those racks and locked them together with zip ties to get one 2 shelf, 4' long setup... that way I could use standard 4' lighting

youve inspired me. im going to have to look into that.

thanks

What kind of lighting fixture do you use and where did you get it. ???

I know it might be heresy but I've not really found the need to have a dramatic night time drop with helis. But then I dont have 85f day temps either ;)

yeah. i have my tank in my basement, it never gets about 75. so im going to try it without help of a fan and such to see how it goes. im just trying to prepare a fall back plan.

Back