What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polyphasic sleep / uberman sleep schedule test

I hate blogs but this is pretty cool! Nick Busey is attempting to switch to a Uberman sleep schedule (Wikipedia - "...a sleep pattern specification intended to compress sleep time to 2-5 hours daily. This is achieved by spreading out sleep into short (around 20-45 minute) naps throughout the day. This allows for more waking hours with relatively high alertness.") This has been attempted before but few people fully succeed. I really hope he does as this could have major implication on my life!
smile_m_32.gif

~ Brett

Very interesting.

The Canadian author Farley Mowat described something like that, maybe in Never Cry Wolf.  He also turned a few circles before each nap, the way wolves and dogs do it.  He mentioned one major implication was its effect on someone sharing the bed.

The average person couldn't do this since they have to work. I do remember seeing a news report a few years ago that said studies showed that employees who had a 15 minute nap in the afternoon showed a big boost in productivity. But I'm sure 99.9% of employers would only see it as "15 minutes of not working" and not look at the benefits of more energized, productive workers.

That wouldn't work for me because it takes me a long time to get to sleep...sometimes many hours.
confused.gif

*chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 18 2005,4:13)]*chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!
It takes practice.

But it can be done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]*chuckles outloud* Yeah, it would take me a good half hour to be able to fall asleep - and that is in a totally quiet, unlit environment. And who could possibly nap for 15 minutes and then just wake up rejuvenated? Not even a kindergardener can do that!

Actually, it's quite funny, but I can do that. Sometimes I lie down for a nap in the afternoon, I sleep for what feels like a reeeally long period, but then when I fully wake up and feel ready to get up I look and it's only been 15 minutes. I'm not claiming I could replace a good night's sleep with this, but it has saved my butt a number of times! And still there are a couple of things that you need to watch you for, things that can cause some big problems. For one, there's "sleep inertia," it's pretty much what it sounds like; a 15 minute nap is fine, but if you enter a deep sleep you can be more groggy than you started out. Also related to that is dehydration. I don't know if this is the way it goes for anyone else, but sometimes I get severely dehydrated during a longer nap and when I wake up I feel sick, my mouth is dry, and I'm more groggy than before. Mmmm naps...
laugh.gif

Well, now there's another guy doing this. I hope one of them pulls it off...

~ Brett

I'll take having full dreams over being awake longer any day.

I agreee with parenthesis. Dreams can tell us a lot about our lives. I know mine have...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Oct. 18 2005,10:48)]I agreee with parenthesis. Dreams can tell us a lot about our lives. I know mine have...
Have they predicted earthquakes? Or maybe predicted that the sun will increase in intensity? Or some other sight into the future?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nick Busey is attempting to switch to a Uberman sleep schedule

Forget about the Uberman sleep schedule.  I recently read a manuscript describing the actions of a synthetic chemical called CX717 which, when administered to monkeys deprived of sleep for up to 36 h, enabled them to perform normally on memory tasks!

It remains to be seen whether the chemical has a similar effect on humans, but it likely would given the similarity of structural and functional morphologies between human and non-human primate brains.

Hehe, I don't really need dreams to tell me that the sun is gonna beat us up in the furure. Even the bible says it will, as well as a remote viewer named Ed Dames. Plus, everybody knows there is a big earthquake coming in CA. My dreams mostly tell me impotant things about deep issues in my own life.

Another thing, I wouldn't take anything that would really prevent you from sleeping and dreaming at all. Dreaming in sleep is indeed a very important aspect of our lives conciously, and subconciously. Should only avoid sleep if you have to
smile.gif

I don't really have many dreams and I really don't sleep more than 5 hrs. anyway so I might try this myself...

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Oct. 20 2005,1:42)]I don't really have many dreams and I really don't sleep more than 5 hrs. anyway so I might try this myself...

-D. Lybrand
Tell us how it's going if you try it!

~ Brett

Turns out the second person I cited above has given up... sigh... he just kept oversleeping. Interestingly, he doesn't blame it on the schedule/cycle itself, merely his lack of will to follow through.

~ Brett

Back