What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinating Pings question

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
Two of my P. lusitanica are putting up flower stalks and I think my P. primuliflora is also. With that in mind I have a few questions.
1. are P. lusitanica and P. primuliflora self pollinating (if not, how to pollinate)
2. can they be crossed
3. if so, can someone post detailed instructions (preferably with pictures) on collecting and transferring the pollen for making P. lusitanica x P. primuliflora
Thanks

P. lusitanica
P_+lus+-+Copy.JPG

P. primuliflora
Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks xvart. So I take it from those threads that they do not self pollinate? The one thread says "Most Mexis won't self pollinate".
Can they be hybred crossed?

OK, so after reading a lot more, my guess is they can be hybred. but for the life of me, I can't figure which parts are stamen and which part is the stigma/ovary. There is what looks like to me a good cross section of a ping flower here. Could someone label the parts and repost it here?
Thanks.

I just noticed this sticky. There is a link in the third post with a diagram.

xvart.

You might wish to make note that neither of the plants you mention in this thread are Mexican Pinguicula species. Pinguicula lusitanica is predominantly European, though also known from North Africa, and Pinguicula primuliflora is from the Southeastern U.S.A. It is not likely that these two species could be successfully cross-pollinated. I don't know anyone yet, who has even been successful in crossing any of the Southeastern U.S. species with each other, and Pinguicula lusitanica self-pollinates almost as soon as their flowers are mature, they don't always open first. However, good luck, stranger things have happened.

When you view my illustration, linked below, keep in mind that once the corolla (petals) are carefully removed, most all Pinguicula flowers are constructed very much alike, though their relative proportions do vary. Also, that in this illustration the stigma is shown as if it were transparent, normally you would not be able to see through it to view the stamen beneath it.
Illustration of Pinguicula Flower

Last edited:
P. lusitanica flowers profusely and self-pollinates, depositing seeds all over the place. P. primuliflora propogates best via plantlets that form on older leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph and Jim, thanks for you post. Joseph, I saw your drawing/diagram in other threads, but for the life of me, I can't match up the parts in your drawing with the cutaway picture here. Is the yellow part under the flap the stigma/ovary and if so, where are the stamen? I'm trying to compair the 2 pictures, but am obviously having problems ID'ing the parts on the real flower.
Thanks again for your help and patience.
Tom

That photo, by Vic Brown, shows: A Pinguicula gypsicola flower with most of the flower, including the corolla, intact. In that photo the ovary is not visible, it is occluded by the base of the spur (part of the remaining corolla). Only the bottom two corolla lobes (petals) have been torn away, allowing easier access to the underside of the stigma, where the stigma flap covers the anthers (just visible in the photo as a yellowish spot beneath the stigma flap). Stamen are composed of two main parts, anthers containing pollen and the filament. In Vic Brown's photo the filament are easily visible, they frame the opening beneath the stigma and anthers, on the left the stamen filament is partially occluded by cilia from a remaining portion of the corolla.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the water is getting a little less muddy. :-O

Back