What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pollen collecting

uphwiz

jimmy
im hoping to collect some pollen from my s carmelitta.
adice and information anyone .
how long does it thake pollen to mature once bloom opens, the bloom has been open for a week or so and is beginning tu turn up slightly and all pedals are opening.
This was the 5th of may

here it this morning.

It might be a little late, but use a clean paint brush to collect the pollen. I'll be uploading a video later today.

What I sometimes do (especially with the smaller flowers like S. rubra complex) is remove one of the petals and gently use a soft brush to brush the pollen onto a piece of foil. Use foil- it makes it easier to see- especially if you have very few flowers to work with on one plant but need to pollinate a bunch of flowers on another. Sometimes if you lift a petal up and carefully pull the flower to the side you can get the pollen to fall out pretty easily. Just be careful about accidently self pollinating (assuming you are trying to avoid that- which is a wise move if you want vigorous and viable seed)

To clarify- you do not actually have to remove a petal. I just sometimes find it easier on the awkward species

Back