What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plz help my vft!!

Hello everyone

The tips of the newly emerging leaves on 2 of my vft seedlings are turning black!
image0 (1).jpeg

Why is this happening?

Should I trim the black parts?

It has been living in 30~50% humidity, basic watering (filtered) and 12cm away from three T5 led lights. Media is 1:1 peat/silica sand.

Plz help. I've lost one too many plants... :ohno:

You might find this helpful: Growing Dionaea muscipula | ICPS , if you haven't already looked through it. Also, 12 cm is pretty close to T5 lights, which can be pretty hot. You might move them up, in case they are being burned. I wouldn't worry about removing the dead leaves. Unless they are being attacked visibly by fungus they won't do any real harm. You can, of course, remove them if they are fully dead but I don't recommend taking living tissue off with them.

You might find this helpful: Growing Dionaea muscipula | ICPS , if you haven't already looked through it. Also, 12 cm is pretty close to T5 lights, which can be pretty hot. You might move them up, in case they are being burned. I wouldn't worry about removing the dead leaves. Unless they are being attacked visibly by fungus they won't do any real harm. You can, of course, remove them if they are fully dead but I don't recommend taking living tissue off with them.
Thanks!! Perhaps the red leaves are a sign of heat/light stress?
It's been living in that position ever since it was a seed tho...
And other that those two, no other vft seedlings (from the same kind of seed) have blackened leaves.
Maybe the seedlings showing black leaves got the inferior genes for light tolerance?

When you say filtered water what do you mean? You want to use only R.O. water or distilled or rainwater unless your TDS reading is 50ppm or lower. That may be your issue.

When you say filtered water what do you mean? You want to use only R.O. water or distilled or rainwater unless your TDS reading is 50ppm or lower. That may be your issue.
Yeah... The water I used turned out to be pretty hard, so I've been using Distilled Ion filtered R.O. water since like 1 week ago.
Except for the one who started showing the symptoms first, every other seedling has recovered very well (including the one in the picture above), with new leaves replacing the blackened ones.

I have two in live sphagnum, because I've heard that it has antifungal characteristics. (the black stuff is just peat I couldn't wash off)IMG_2035.jpgIMG_2036.jpg

Back