What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me identify this pitcher plant

Hi

Please help me identify this pitcher plant that I bought recently.

Questions:

1.) What species is this?

2.) Is is good or normal to have the pitchers hanging like this?
Or better to have some form of support to let the pitcher resting on the ground?

pitcher_01_whole.jpg

Thanks!

Q3: What potting mix should I use?
The plant came with a very small pot with its original 'soil'

I transported the plant to a bigger pot and put 'coconut husks' around the original soil.

Is this ok?

pitcher_02_pottingmix.jpg

Thanks!

1) Probably N. x ventrata

2) It is fine to let the pitchers dangle

3) Your media should be fine. The best thing for Neps is to have a good loose well draining media that retains a little moisture and coco chips fit the bill nicely.

I second that ID. Things look good. Just don't do like elgecko and have it over the kitchen table, and the acrobatics of getting something under the pot while watering!

It is a N. x ventrata -- I have one just like it.

Yep that's a Nepenthes xVentrata. It is normal to have the pitchers hanging (it's ok if they are on the soil too), most neps eventually start vining as well.

-Max

hey, thanks, guys!

So, it is a Nepenthes xVentrata!!

Any special care requirements needed?

Also, I don't quite understand

acrobatics of getting something under the pot while watering

Thanks!

No special care, very easy plant, make sure it's not too wet, but never dry out (with distilled/Rain/RO water of course).

That was a friendly tease to a hobbyist who has incredibly good looking Neps in his kitchen, in hanging baskets. When he pours the water through the pots he has to quickly get something under them to catch the water before it hits the kitchen table.

Back