What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plants that receive 24 hours light

Empyrean

Destiny VS Cause And Effect
is 24 hours light daily, healthy for dionaea? day time using simple shaded sunlight, night time using 6500k daylight fluorescents fixture light, can this be good for the dionaea?

I don't think so...Why don't you grow it outside? In the wild, they don't receive 24 hours of light, they still get night. Plus, what about seasonal photoperiod?

These plants require dormancy. They need a change in photoperiod to signal the change of seasons in order to go dormant.

So in the long term this would not be healthy for your Dionaea.

if their seedlings... you can do this for a while or at least I've read that its been done succesfully to really promote quick growth, but with matured plants I'd not recommend it

is 24 hours light daily, healthy for dionaea? day time using simple shaded sunlight, night time using 6500k daylight fluorescents fixture light, can this be good for the dionaea?

Eventually, you will want to shorten the photoperiod of your Dionaea in late Fall through Winter to accomodate its dormancy requirements. Without doing so, the plant may limp on for a while, but will ultimately succumb.

the process of photosynthesis (PSN) also requires a series of dark reactions (C-3) whereby enzymatic reactions take place, the first stage being the production of a three-carbon molecule, PGA (phosphoglycerate), eventually to convert CO2 to carbohydrates.

Whew, never thought that crap would come up after college; throw in the Calvin Cycle and you have a NY Times crossword . . .

Well actually it is only called dark phase reactions because light is not needed for the reactions to take place. The Calvin cycle can occur in the presence of light.

Yes, I realize that but to explain dark cycles which can occur in the prescence of light seems paradoxical in the course of a few smart-*** sentences. The Calvin Cycle comment stemmed from a NY Times crossword, nothing more . . .

Well actually it is only called dark phase reactions because light is not needed for the reactions to take place. The Calvin cycle can occur in the presence of light.

Back