What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*PLANTS STOLEN* Help find the thief.

Hi Everyone.

Over the weekend I had a number of irreplaceable plants stolen from the greenhouse.

I am still doing construction on the new greenhouses and quite frankly this gives me pause to wonder if I should just tear them down.

Pass the word.

Keep a look out for black truncata, trusmadiensis, a variety of EP plants, large macrophylla .. and I dunno what else..

They new what they wanted and I suspect they have been to the greenhouse. Which means it's a pretty short list.

Tony

Damn, those were some nice plants. Sorry they got stolen. Wish I could help but I live on the other side of the country.

-Max

Tony!! Long time no see! That's terrible that someone broke into your greenhouses and stole plants. What kind of person.... :censor:

Don't let it get you down, though. Nothing is irreplaceable. Make a list of what's gone, and I bet the good people here will help you replace some of them at least.

Capslock

You're alive :0o:

VERY glad to see you here Tony but not under these circumstances!

If you have any pics to show...give them to us and maybe we can make like a "Wanted" poster so people can be on the look out for these plants. Not everyone here would know what they look like.

Wanted posters work to catch criminals all the time.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. It's sickening someone in the CP community would do this...

Hope all is well otherwise.

Sorry to hear this bad news :( Some people are jerks!

Those are really rare plants so unless whoever stole them keeps them in their private collection they have a good chance of showing up once the word gets out. It's not everyday you see a mature macrophylla or a trusmadiensis for sale(or even pics of them for that matter). I'm terribly sorry to hear about this though. I don't have anything 1/100th as rare as the plants you listed and I'd be devastated if mine were stolen. Spread the word and hopefully something will show up. Don't let it get you down and make you give up because if it does then they win.
-max

Wow some people are just heartless. Its sad to see when you have to put padlocks on a greenhouse to keep people out. Hope they will be caught soon

Jay.

Hi Everyone.

Over the weekend I had a number of irreplaceable plants stolen from the greenhouse.

I am still doing construction on the new greenhouses and quite frankly this gives me pause to wonder if I should just tear them down.

Pass the word.

Keep a look out for black truncata, trusmadiensis, a variety of EP plants, large macrophylla .. and I dunno what else..

They new what they wanted and I suspect they have been to the greenhouse. Which means it's a pretty short list.

Tony
Hi Tony,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the theft. I am afraid that that is becoming far more common -- and I had a friend who recently lost some very rare orchids that only a very few knew she was growing. Someone had to have known their value since only they were taken and it has put her in an awkward state among her orchid-growing friends . . .

I would suggest pouring over online auction sites. You would not believe how brazen some thieves can be. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the plants mentioned . . .

just terrible. Just horrible. Why the hell? How can people be sooo stupid, dumb and immature to do that? yeah...I would have to agree....keep a look out on ebay, other online forums etc. But if someone was sooo specific to target those plants... they knew what they were doing and maybe mature plants like these are meant for their personal collection.

I know its a hard time Tony. But don't give up man! You have the talent to grow these magnificent plants. Yes, its sad to see plants that may have been in your care for a decade be ruthlessly taken away...but a macrophylla, trusmadiensis are available now inspite of their hefty price. I am sure you have the contacts from where you got the plants and they would gladly help to get back those clones.

PS: Tony.... I was just going to do this...but felt its better asking you before doing it: Put up a message on all the nepenthes boards: floranepenthaceae.com , pitcherplants.proboards34.com , petpitcher.com

when you find out who they are be shure to yell say hello to my little friend :p :p

have seen similar things happen in the herp trade....ppl have been able to track down their animals again due to the rarity of the individual animals along with good pictures of them word spread fast enough that alot were tracked down....the CP community is a fraction of the size of the herp.....if yah got recent pics and/or have good description of the size oand such of these plants its likely we will be able to track some down....most individuals who do this do it to make a quick buck or to stroke their egos cause they can say they have these rare plants....kinda hard to stroke your ego or sell them if yah cant tell anyone.....give us what info you can and do the same on the other boards and someone with a good conscience is bound to stumble across them and let yah know who has them......

I will make a list of what's missing. I need to get my website back up and running.

The N. Trusmadiensis were seed grown from wild N. lowii seed. The N truncata black were the only ones in the country to my knowledge.

Vraev if you would post on other forums particularly about the N. truncata black etc..

My contact information if anyone hears anything
315-232-3531
I made a new email address for information
Stolenneps@aol.com

Hi Tony,

Done! I posted your message up on ICPS, CPUK, floranepenthaceae.com and the pitcher plants boards. Good luck man! Hope they can be tracked down.

Varun

did you call the police? If they stole the plants, they could find the one who stole it.

Tony that just makes me sick...so sorry to hear this.

This is the very reason I have put up security cameras, motion sensors, night-vision surveillance, etc., all around my property. It may not ultimately prevent a theft but will at least identify the criminals. You should seriously consider doing this if you haven't already.

Hope you can recover some of your plants.

Damn. Having had an irreplaceable musical instrument stolen from me, I can relate to some of what you're probably feeling. Similarly, I know it was someone that knew what they wanted and just simply took it.

Maybe this short list of possibly suspects is enough for a detective to go on? That list, maybe some fingerprints from the greenhouse...I say exhaust all possibilities no matter how ridiculously remote they may be.

Again, are there any photos of the plants in question? Simply their size should put a potential buyer on the suspicious side and most collectors I know are above that type of behavior -- especially those who spend a decade growing out tiny TC plants. That was how a friend (OK, an ex) of mine recovered her stolen orchids -- a cautious buyer who called the police. I generally inquire about a plant's origin anyway . . .

That's awful, Tony... I'm really sorry to hear it. My personal nightmare is just the neighborhood animals getting into my collection - I can't imagine how I'd react to a theft. Did you have insurance? If you don't, I think there are a few companies that will give you coverage retroactive to your first claim if you're willing to buy a long-term contract.
~Joe

Back