What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Labels

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
Based on an older thread, I purchased a handheld Brother P-Touch labelmaker a year or 2 ago. While I have been satisfied with it overall, it does take a while to create a new label and the memory only holds 10 or so for re-use later. I started thinking how nice it would be to have a labelmaker which uses the same tapes but is basically just a printer hooked up to my computer. How much easier & faster it would be to create labels and ideally it would store as many as I would like. On a whim, I did a search and found this, which appears to be exactly what I was (& am) looking for and it's cheaper than the handheld unit I previously purchased (darn it).

I am curious if anyone has purchased one of these units and could provide any feedback on its merits?

I've only used one of those handheld ones (assuming we're talking about the same thing.) In my experience, the tag didn't last too long, the sun got to it. First the ink starts to fade and then the paper starts to curl. Might have had more success of I'd stuck it on a long label facing away from the sun...

At the end of the day, no. 2 pencil seems to have the greatest longevity for me though permanent pens (not the marker side, though) seem to work pretty well.

Thinking about it, I'm sure there's somewhere that you can get a sheet with perforations that you print the info on using your regular printer and then you can just tear them apart and use them; probably even come with a CD for ease of alignment...

I've only used one of those handheld ones (assuming we're talking about the same thing.) In my experience, the tag didn't last too long, the sun got to it. First the ink starts to fade and then the paper starts to curl. Might have had more success of I'd stuck it on a long label facing away from the sun...
Thanks for the info but you've got to be referring to something different. The P-Touch TZ exterior labels are absolutely fantastic. Mike King has used them for years w/ no signs of any fading yet. Aidan has switched his entire collection over to them. These guys have 2 of the largest Sarr collections in the world afaik. My question really isn't about the labels, it's about the P-Touch computer printer .....

At the end of the day, no. 2 pencil seems to have the greatest longevity for me though permanent pens (not the marker side, though) seem to work pretty well.
Some people like using pencil as it seems to last. If you saw my handwriting, you'd understand why this isn't an option ...:0o:

Thinking about it, I'm sure there's somewhere that you can get a sheet with perforations that you print the info on using your regular printer and then you can just tear them apart and use them; probably even come with a CD for ease of alignment...
This really wouldn't work as it uses the ink in a 'normal' printer and that would fade like crazy...

It sounds interesting. I have yet to find a satisfactory label writer. Pencil is the best so far but could be better. I'll have to check that out.

Back