What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Plant Help!

• Thread starter Tytrapman
  • Start date
Hey guys I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is not posted in the correct place. My boss got a pitcher plant, let all the traps go dry and turn brown. As a result she cut them all off and gave the plant to me. The plant itself looks okay but all the pitchers are gone. I don't know what type of pitcher plant it is so I don't know what to do or the best way to care for it. All help Is appreciated

Attachments

• 20230408_093919.jpg
    20230408_093919.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 6
That's a N. ventrata, a pretty common find in garden centers. If you look at the bottom you can see it has a developing pitcher on it. Care is easy. Just give it a lot of bright light, water when the surface of the media begins to dry out with distilled or tap water if you live in an area with water with a low PPM, and keep it away from temps above 90 and below 40

That's a N. ventrata, a pretty common find in garden centers. If you look at the bottom you can see it has a developing pitcher on it. Care is easy. Just give it a lot of bright light, water when the surface of the media begins to dry out with distilled or tap water if you live in an area with water with a low PPM, and keep it away from temps above 90 and below 40
That trap doesn't look dead/dying to you? My boss said they all looked like that when she cut them off kind of brown

Moved to Nepenthes forum
Pitchers start as a small nub and inflate till they pop often, your pitcher is in the inflate step.
Here is a pitcher on my indoor ventrata early in the inflate step.
20230408_075057.jpg
And here are 2 pitchers, one still inflating and one that recently opened.
20230408_074946.jpg

Some developing pitchers are a brown or reddish color. Some green up, some stay red/brown. Good luck!

Alright gotcha, thanks a ton everyone!

You can see in my post I let it get quite a bit bigger before repotting it. You'll be fine for a while more. :)

Oh I didn't see that link that's awsome! what a good looking plant you have hopefully mine gets there. Can't wait for the pitchers to grow back

Back