What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula moctezumae!

So I am aware of my media choices and the pluses and minuses of each but out of curiosity, I thought I might I ask for pics of this plant along with a description of what the plant is growing in so I can get an idea of what the plants think :-D

Thanks!

It seems to do best in LFS!

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture-2.jpg

Pure peat works great for me, but I use that for a lot of Mexican pings with great success. I go from completely sopping wet, to pretty dang dry and repeat.
Andrew

IMG_0943.JPG

i may just have to change my mix now haha, i used perlite, peat, and vermiculite, 1:2:.5, i like the idea of just peat being simple and very effective

LOL! Andrew: you win!

No one is growing it in a mineral based mix?

I ended up puting mine in peat/sand

Mine slowly died when I did that. I was given a second chance by the one sho sent me a plant and suggested that I use LFS. So that's what I did. Radical difference!

I think the wetter mixes work when you have good light. If you don't- it probably won't work so well. As always, some media works better for me, some other may work better for you. :) But it's promising with jimscott growing nice plants in a media that is also pretty wet.
Andrew

Interesting as this species is found growing on limestone. You would think basic conditions would suit them better than acidic. They might do even better with hard water. But yes, you want them wet.

http://pinguicula.org/pages/plantes/pinguicula_moctezumae.htm
HABITAT:
According to the Author, Pinguicula moctezumae grows on calcium carbonate concretions, in the stream bed or walls with water drainings, on wet limestone slope (I think it is Tufa) at altitudes of 900 to 1100m.

Nice moctezumea!

I grow mine in mineral substrate based on dolomite CaMg(CO3)2, in almost powdered form (90%) and peat and it grows just fine. P. moctezumae is not very picky about the substrate as long as she gets pure water, good light and elevated rel. air humidity. (From my experience) Very nice pictures, BTW! :)

I'll probably get a Moctezumae to replace my Drosera Graminifolia that just died.

Back