What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gypsicola

P. gypsicola is finally flowering for me, I think the cooler weather we have had helped it along.

file-5.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-7.jpg

gorgeous.
bummer I could never could get this species to grow out.

Awesome drew! the little guys you sent me are still puttin along too. :)

Thanks guys! Mass, all my pings grow in the same temperature as my neps, 75 days 50 nights. Humidity where the pings are is slightly lower than the neps, around 55% days and 80% nights. This species has been very forgiving in my conditions.

Good to hear Brie! :)

same conditions as my cephs. I imagine they'd like the same light levels and media as well.
Maybe it's time to give them another shot. Now just to find some.. *rubs chin*

Mine are about 8" from 6 HOT5's dab square in the middle of the fixture. Media is 50/50 aps to perlite. I havent been able to find APS lately though so have switched to 50/50 perlite and vermiculite. Seems ok so far but only used it for a few short months in about 10 pots. See how it looks next year though.

F7B4318D-8ACD-4C8E-B39A-D6F4C8B96326-3442-000004079CE4EDAA.jpg

Nice! Mine have been flowering a while now and the weather is not cooler... not sure the flower signal but it went along with me watering more ( as it is really hot) so maybe that was my trigger.
Andrew

Not sure if you have a separate pic thread or not, but can I see your cephs and whatever that moss mound is? Looks like ping hill from here..

Nice! Mine have been flowering a while now and the weather is not cooler... not sure the flower signal but it went along with me watering more ( as it is really hot) so maybe that was my trigger.
Andrew

Hmm interesting. I havent changed my watering habits since end of April haha. Who knows..

Not sure if you have a separate pic thread or not, but can I see your cephs and whatever that moss mound is? Looks like ping hill from here..

There are a few pics here of both: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?130928-A-few-photos/page2

I see buds starting with my plant growing outside. Dunno about hot. not hot here. Maybe daylength change . long to shorter days?

Mine are under lights in a growtent and I have yet started to reduce day length. Maybe they just know its flowering time haha.

Beautiful!

Media is 50/50 aps to perlite.
You use a 1:1 aps/perlite media? How often & with what do you fertilize? How often do you water or do they sit in water?

Thanks Jim!

That's correct Ron, but I haven't been able to find APS locally anymore after Home Depot discontinued their Schultz stuff here in Calgary so I have switched to vermiculite and perlite for the time being (Ive also tried pure perlite and pure APS with fine results). I fertilize very little as they catch a few fungus gnats generally, but when I do I lightly spritz with 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer about once every 4-6 weeks. They sit in about 3/4" of water and I refill the trays 24-48hrs after it has dried up. Pots are 2 1/4" wide and 3" tall. The top 1/4" of the media is usually dry so the plants are forced to send roots about 0.5 - 1" down. This weekend I am planning to uproot 1 or 2 of the pings in the vermiculite/perlite media so I can see how their roots are doing.

Back