What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings you Own!

Opps...didn't even notice this post. This might be a little late, but...here is what Oliver Gluch from Germany mentioned to me about kondoi/reticulata.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">your question about P.kondoi:
if P.reticulata is really distinct from P. kondoi, that's difficult to answer.
P. kondoi was described first in the 70's from herbar material.
P. reticulata was described later by Jan Schlauer on the base of one plant growing in the Botanical Garden in Frankfurt, Germany.
I am quite sure that the P. reticulata I  grow is originated from that plant. Some years ago I have received some plants from Japn, where the person was telling me that his P. kondoi were some offsprings from the original plant described by Mr. Kondo.
If I compare the flowers of the 2 species (?), then I can say that P. reticulata has a more red-brown coloured spur and tube and the corolla leaves are a little longer and narrower. But is that already enough to be distinct? Further in the description of P. reticulata it is mentioned, that the hair at the flower stalk of P. reticulata are non-secretory. I have tried to check, but it is difficult to say without a microscope if P. kondoi has secretory hair. Perhaps that is true. But what is absolutely not true is that P. kondoi only has white coloured corolla lobes. This is definitively a mistake and not true. Perhaps the herbar material was only white.

It is up to you to decide if you consider P. reticulata as distinct from P. kondoi.
Further I can't garantuee you if the plants from Japan labelled 'P. kondoi' are really offsprings of plants coming from the type location. People who already tried to find P. kondoi in its habitat told me, that there are no Pinguicula plants to find where the location should be, but generally P. kondoi seems to be more widespread that mentioned in the description by Casper and Kondo.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am currently growing P.kondoi, but I have not had the chance to observe its winter dormancy habits as this is a recent aquisition for me. The safest route to go during the winter would probably be to give the plant a dry dormancy(tends to be safer than keeping mex. pings too wet during their dormancy period...rot).

Hope this helps
smile.gif

Many thanks CP2k, that's exactly the kind of response I wanted and worth the wait. I was going to give it a dry dormancy along with most of the other mexicans.
Thanks
Vic

Hi !!
This is my little list of pings:

P. alpina
P. leptoceras
P. gypsicola
P. x weser

Kind regards

rajah

Pinguicula grandiflora

That is my ping collection...but I have 1 parent and about 6 little babies just sending out new leaves~!
biggrin.gif

I'm kinda late as I don't often visit this forum but here is my list:

agnata x gypsicola
cyclosecta
gigantea
ionantha
laueana
moranensis
moranensis ‘el chico’
potosiensis
primuliflora
ag x mor x ehl
x George Sargent (gypsicola x moranensis var. caudata)
other hybrid I can't remember the parens of.
smile.gif

-noah

Pinguicula 'Hans'

Thats it... They are extremly hard to find in the UK!

Pinguicula 'Hans'

Thats it... They are extremly hard to find in the UK!

I just took this photo of one of my Pinguicula acuminata. It is one that seems to grow very well but I have yet to get it to bloom.

p_acuminata_sml.jpg

Back