What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of my Grow Chamber

Here is a couple of pics of a grow chamber for lowland nepenthes that I just finished. It is 3' wide x 5' long x 4' tall. It is made of 3/4" plywood on all sides, except the front and top of course. I stained and polyurethaned the plywood and then put mylar and plastic all in the inside except on the top. I think that I should have put the mylar on the outside but will change it when the plastic gets old. It was truly a "labor of love". I put plexiglass on the top and it has two pieces of glass on the front in a channel that slide. I just haven't put the handles on yet! Here is the pics:

DSCN1482.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

Looks amazing! I can't wait to see how well the plants turn out! You will have to post pictures when you get the plants in there!

What are your plans for lighting and keeping the humidity up?

By the way-- the sarracenias and sundew are doing wonderfully! :)

Nice!

Soon when those Neps I told you about establish, we could trade!

Thanks guys! I have 3 light units with 2 bulbs each so there is 6 lights altogether. Cool white and kitchen and bath bulbs. As far as humidity, it should be no problem as it is pretty air tight when the glass on the front is closed. I would think that the humidity will be very high. I will give it a trial run before any plants go in of course! Trek, I am very glad to hear about the plants I sent, keep it up. And Max, I look forward to a trade when they establish!

Looks nice :)

My highland area in the basement is completely full (5' x 4'), so I'm starting construction on a giant version of something like what you made. I'm just not quite sure what to do for the door - it's going to be a walk-in :) I've seen some people use magnets or velcro. Since I don't need it to be completely sealed, I was thinking about having one wall be two overlapping sheets of plastic. I've seen one picture of something like this, 7'x7' I believe.
Do any of you have something bigger I could see a picture of? I'm thinking about building it 15' x 25' :-D

I would love to see pics of it. I actually have built a larger chamber too! It is in an L shape and is 8' x 8'. I will post a couple of pics of it when I get completely done.

Love it! It looks like you have some nice supports on top from which baskets of cascading nepenthes may hang.

What about ventilation?

Can't wait to see the plants in there!

OK, I finally got time to post some updated pics of the upgraded chamber. Now it is in an "L" shape and measures 3' wide x 5' long on one end and 8' long on the other x 44" high.

Grow Chamber

DSCN1530.jpg

Left Side

DSCN1531.jpg

Right Side

DSCN1532.jpg

A few plants: N. Muluensis x Lowii (Front left), Inermis x Bongso (Front right), Ramispina (Back Left), Mikei (Back right)

DSCN1533.jpg

Awsome job Bucky. Whats your climate like in there?

The temp on the right is 80* as a high and 68-70* as a low. The left has a high of 76* high and 60* as a low. Humidity is about 70% daytime and 95-100% at night. Glad you like it!

Bucky78,
Do you intend to put plants or boxes of seeds under those racks? There is lots of space! :)

SWEEEEEET setup!

amazing, those are the exact conditions of my little terrarium that i have my madagascariensis and sanguinea growing in xD i have my other CPs in there as well, all love it. i might take some of your ideas there and build myself a growchamber for the garage or something and get a couple bicalcarata and hamata for it :D

CPsNew009.jpg

SK,

IMHO you need to rig up some type of reflector hood for your light, your probably losing half your light energy... from this angle you shouldn't really see any of the bulb, nor should the back wall of the room be illuminated so greatly

Av

Thanks guys! Cindy, I would love to put some plants or something under the racks. Just not sure what cps would be happy under VERY diffused lighting ??? I am a big Sarracenia grower and we all know those guys loooovve a lot of sunlight. Ideas would be very welcomed.

like how would i do that?
i have pleanty of mylar, the light has also been dropped down a bit
so its not near that much but the light is almost resting on the tank xD

well the long version would be to form a reflector that would have a focal point of the surface of the plants (think Isosceles triangle or better yet parabolic dish)... the short verson, lay some aluminum foil on top of the light so you dont see the bulb anymore :)

Av

Very nice set up!

Thanks Elgecko but if only I had a "Magic Windowsill" it would have saved me a lot of time and money!! ;)

Back