What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phalaenopsis seeds.

i think i have sucessfully pollinated 2 of my phalaenopsis orchids now how do i germinate the seeds if i do get some?
thanks
adam

If you figure it out I will send you some calapogon tuberosus seed.

I've heard that many orchids have specialized fungi associated with them to help germination and seedling development. You may want to try Trichoderma or something similar. I once observed an orchid seed sprout in my roommate's pot of Phalaenopsis but it didn't last long. Have you tried doing a web search? There must be some how-to guides out there somewhere.
~Joe

From what little I've heard about them, orchid seeds are often a very fine powder that as Joe said required the symbiotic relationship with a certain kind of fungi. Most of the time orchid seed is grown via tissue culture to provide optimum conditions. Good luck!

What kinds of Phalaenopsis did you pollinate? Check the informational pages at Troy Meyers Conservancy - https://lab.troymeyers.com/flasking/home.php - where you'll find explanations of how orchids are grown from seed.

cp-connection - have you already harvested that Calopogon seed?

Back