What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perlite and rain

Does perlite floating to the top of pots pose a problem for VFT growth? I forgot to take my new VFTs in last night during a big 'ol storm.

I don't know if it's a problem, but it is unsightly.

I would avoid perlite in mixes to be used outside, or else top-dress with LFS.

VFTs do well in pure LFS; I'd just use that.

Personally I hate perlite...but I do use it some mixes. If I do use it, try to top-dress with peat or LFS to keep the perlite out of site. But it always seem to get to the top.

Hmmm... I have all my Sarras in peat/perlite mix and top dressed with live sphagnum (to minimize floating perlite) and they've been growing like weeds. I was afraid to use LFS with the VFTs as most of them are very small and I'd hate for the LFS to overgrow the VFTs. Guess I'll settle for moving them indoors during rain or at least build some sort of rain shield. I just wanted to make sure that severe buildup of perlite 'floaters' don't hurt my VFTs.

I like sponge rock, the larger & irregular perlite. I think it works much better and doesn't have perlite's migratory tendencies.

I don't think it's much of a threat, just ugly. It can harbor algae as well, which I suppose could become a problem, if you let it get out of hand. I top with a mix of dried sphagnum and peat or sand, which seems to pack down and hold on to the perlite. I wouldn't worry unless algae starts growing.
Best luck,
~Joe

Thanks for the tips... the sponge rock sounds interesting. I might have to look into that for Spring repotting.

I have a minibog with peat/perlite and I have the same problem whenever it rains. All the perlite gets in the traps, gets stuck in sundews, gets all over sarrencia pitchers. If this was a peat/sand mix, what will happen if it rained?

I think the combination of ~50/50 long fiber sphagnum & sponge rock avoids that problem while creating a nice rooting zone for the plants. And, after the sphagnum comes to life or you put a little live stuff on top, it'll grow to cover the sponge rock. Maybe little Droseras too, so sundew growers need to pay attention.

Perlite only looks very white for a couple of weeks. By then mosses will have turned it green.
smile.gif

Back