What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pawpaw seeds

These are seeds of Asimina triloba, a fruit tree native to the eastern US.  A pawpaw is a really attractive small tree and the leaves can reach 18" long.  They can tolerate a fair amount of shade, being understory trees.  Asimina species are also the only hosts for the Zebra Swallowtail - http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/johnson/hort/Butterfly/ZebraSwallowtail.htm.

It's a very tropical looking tree and the fruit have a tropical aroma and taste.  The fragrance is powerful and one pawpaw ripening on the counter will fill the kitchen with what I think is the smell of every tropical flavor candy combined.  The fruit is soft and squishy like custard.  To be honest, I'd rate the fruit's aroma and the tree's appearance as being superior to the actual fruit, but I eat them when I have them.  They'd probably make an awesome smoothie, but I didn't think to try that until all the fruit were gone.

These seeds are a cross of Prolific and Overleese, two named varieties.  Named varieties should give you earlier fruiting and more reliable quality, so I'd recommend you plan to graft named varieties on the seedlings after a couple years of growth.  They graft easily and plenty of people trade scionwood.  I think I have six varieties now (I graft more every year) and can provide scionwood when the time comes.

Depending on how many people want some, I'll ship at least six or more seeds.  I only started seeds one time and had a germination rate of 5/6 or some such fraction.  But that might have been unusual success.  They need to stratify in the fridge for the winter or you can plant them out now and let them overwinter.  They grow unbelievably slowly for the first few years because all their effort goes into roots.  You probably won't see the plant until well into next summer.  But they begin to grow fast after maybe 4 years and can fruit a year or two after that.  They aren't self-fruitful, so you'll need two trees or a branch of a 2nd variety grafted into one tree.

You can find out more at Kentucky State University's pawpaw website - http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/default.htm.

Hey I'll take some of those.

-Rail

Yeah, they sound pretty interesting, I'd like some.

I'll take some...
I made pawpaw creme brule when I was in Ohio

YEAH! I have been looking at pawpaw for the last 5 years, just never jumped. I would appreciate some seed, please. Where do we send the SASE?

Thanks,

I am intersested in the seed if you have any left. Just let me know where to send the SASE.

Thanks Glenn

Id love some as i always wanted a paw paw tree.

Bruce...I wouldn't mind trying some.
smile.gif
I'll PM you.

Thanks!

Remember all these tree ssucker and need to be trained to be a sigle tree. If left to its own devices it will always choose to become a "pawpaw patch" This tree needs cross polination to fruit, so the closer two genetically distinct trees are to eachother, the better, because it is not that attractive to its pollinators.

My oldest tree, which must be 8+ years old, started its first sucker this summer. My younger tree, which is maybe 5, has had a few suckers. I've been grafting more varieties on them.

Got 'em in. Now I just have to wait till I'm 30 to see fruit
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks herenorthere.

-Rail

recieved... these things look like the multivitamins that I take.

Anyone expecting something the size of CP seeds, or even corn & peas, is in for a surprise. They're so thick it costs an extra 12 cents to mail them.

Back