What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora

We have a Passiflora(looks to be P. caerulea) vine growing outside and it is not very big. I'm wondering if it is possible to do a stem cutting off of it. Also, how well do they do on windowsills(hinting at cuttings eventual destination). Not sure what species but it is a common one. Also, is it normal for the flowers to last a very short time? How do you pollinate them? Do you need 2 different plants to get "fruit"?

P. caerulea is super easy to root. I like to do a bunch of 2 ft. cuttings and just stick em in water. After a few weeks, the base will bulge and roots will emerge. These things are unkillable
smile.gif
They probably won't like it on a windowsill. Best to plant them in the ground and provide something they can climb on. The flowers only last for a day, two at most. No need to pollinate, they self pollinate and produce lots of cool orange fruit.

Thanks much! I will give it a shot. Why wouldn't they like windowsill life? It'd be awesome to have a vine inside.

I read the tag and the plant is alatocaerulea...that is a hybrid. Though the tag says it makes fruit I've read online it does not.

Anyone grow P. edulis or any of the others by any chance?

Basically you just need something for it to climb on. It may make a large root system needing a gallon pot or better. I grow my Aristolochia indoors on what Logees catalog calls a "spiral climb" but I have been making the same thing for years (for way cheaper than what they sell it for).

Just get a big coil of galvinized wire from the hardware store (not a roll of wire) and a 4 foot tall bamboo stake. Make a bend in one end of the wire roll and put it in the hole on one end of the bamboo stake, pull the coil up to the top and make another bend in that end of the wire and put that bent tip in the top hole of the bamboo stake and you have what looks like a stretched out slinky coiling up the stake. Put the stake/slinky in the pot and fill with soilmix -having a friend hold the stake in place while you load the pot helps alot! Position your plant next to the stake and the tendrils will coil around the spring and climb up. When my plant grows a foot or two off the top of the coil I bend it down and get the growing tip hooked at the base and then it winds itself up again over and over, soon you get a big column of leaves and (hopefully) flowers!

I believe they like sun.  If grown in full sun, this is what it can do in one year.  Actually, this was taken earlier in the year, it got much bigger than what you see in the pic.
passiflora_web.jpg

passiflora_fruit.jpg

passiflora_fruit_in_hand.jpg

passiflora_guts.jpg

Ah! P. caerulea! Nice plant! Mine is growing on my front fence with vines 35 feet and longer. Beautiful flowers all spring summer and fall. My p. racemosa hybrid has lavender purple flowers with a solid white corona. Real pretty. My pride though is my p. alata from Brazil. Large pie plate size flowers with a darker purple flower and a feathery corona that hangs down and is bell shaped. White and black bands around the seperate corona "hair" make for an incredibly attractive flower. It takes two plants in p. alata's case to make fruit. The fruit is large and the taste unique and SWEET!!!! Next to CP, passiflora's are running a close second.

Great replies guys! Guess I will try a cutting. I'd really like a pure species to fool around with. I also hear this hybrid is not very suspectible to caterpillars(that is actually a minus to me as I think trying to raise a few fritillaries or the like would be interesting).

Are their any small Passiflora that might take well to terrarium or indoor type life?

Also, besides P. caerulea, edulis, and incarnata any others cold tolerant? We get around 40 degree winters here (zone 7 or 8). They grow oranges round here too. Bugweed I believe you are in Northern CA somewhere so pretty close to me.

Hmmm. I had a passiflora of some sort. If I recall, the flowers looked much like those on larry's photo. Sadly, it never formed fruit. But it certainly DID grow! Snaked along the ground between trees in my backyard, colonizing all of them. (it was planted on the SIDE of the house.)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

P. incarnata is the only native US passion vine. It can take cold temps but not severely cold. P. edulis is a tropical. When I had one, I always brought it indoors for the winter but it gets below freezing here quite frequently. P. caerulea is more cold tolerant than most species.

All passiflora are vining plants and need space. Their tendrils will grab anything, and I do mean anything, that is nearby in order to climb. Some can grow 40-60 feet long.

Incarnata has always been a favorite of mine...childhood memories.
smile.gif

Back