What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parasitic Plant

Photoed this one yesterday: Dodder on iceplant. Might be fun to put it on a houseplant. But not on one of my prized CPs.
dodder.JPG

Really cool! I've seen dodder on some plants in the hills near my house but it's not really accessible without scrambling up a hill.

Dodder RPV 6.20.22b.JPGDodder RPV 6.20.22a.JPG
Thanks @Tanukimo

Spotted more growing in a roadway center divider on California Buckwheat. I am notifying the Conservancy of this occurrence in hope of helping relocate it. I’ve watched some great Youtube vids about this strange plant. Wish I had a more suitable growing space for it myself.

Here are some pics of dodder I took from last year at a hiking trail near my house. The closeup ones were just out of reach. Otherwise I would have wanted to try to grow some myself. The orange color is quite distinctive once you've seen it.

SlBfZ1w.jpg

m0prtvw.jpg

k4hVFDM.jpg

Zpn1A5I.jpg

1P2xd52.jpg

YTNED9P.jpg

7sjGo9B.jpg

dodder.JPGdodder2.JPGDodder 7.25.22.JPG
@Tanukimo, I wish you luck finding some you can reach. I saw more Dodder, AKA Vampire Plant, along a trail side; A patch sapping the life out of poison oak. Imagine the fun we could have creating such fascinating vampire gardens around our neighborhoods. As a test grow experiment I wreathed a collected Dodder length around a sweet potato stem. Looks hopeful so far.

'Kinda creepy but cool. I see you are growing a yellow-stemmed form of dodder, Ivan. When I lived in CA I remember seeing a bright orange variety.

'Kinda creepy but cool. I see you are growing a yellow-stemmed form of dodder, Ivan. When I lived in CA I remember seeing a bright orange variety.
Good eye Mark. That one length I took to grow was yellow-green, because it was shaded. Sadly it failed to attach to the host, but I got a few seed for another try.

Back