What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PAID (Wcaphoto $8) Impatiens namchabarwensis (Blue Impatiens) seedling #2

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
Bidding starts at $5, Shipping is paid for by the winner, $12.50 (Priority Mail, 1 pound), or possibly a little less if close to California. If someone decides they need both plants, they would ship for $17 Priority Mail.

Impatiens namchabarwensis was discovered recently, in 2003, in the world's deepest canyon, in Tibet at an elevation of 3000 ft.

Most of this country grows it as an annual, as it dies at the first frost. Cuttings do root easily, so it can be maintained indoors under lights over winter. It also produces viable seeds (even if a solitary plant) which come up the next Spring in favorable climates. There was a discussion yesterday on the Facebook Cloudforest and Highland Tropical forum (please join!). Derick Pitman McDaniel, who introduced the plant to the U.S. said he is aware of it reseedling in both North Carolina and New York. I know the New York grower, he is in Westchester County.

It can take some heat (NY and NC, for example), but a friend who grew it in Maryland thinks it would be impossible in Florida.

It's a stunning plant. The color often varies between blue and a somewhat purplish blue color depending on lighting and other factors.

The plant up for auction is the first photo, and has not bloomed yet. It is a seedling, growing in a 10 oz. plastic cup (3 inch upper diameter). It's been a slow grower this Spring because of our cold temperatures in the SF Bay Area. I expect it to be bigger by the end of the auction.

The photos of plants in bloom are from previous years.

This is a very brittle and heat sensitive plant. I will do my best to ensure that the plant arrives in good shape--I'm very thorough. I secure the soil completely, and then tape the pot in the box with huge amounts of tape. Such plants are usually fine. I'll commit to getting the winner something viable if there's a problem. However, that may just be rooted cutting(s) and the winner will have to pay shipping for the second attempt.

Impatiens namchabarwensis #2 NASC auction.jpg

Impatiens namchabarwensis 2.jpg

Joy's Impatiens namchabarwensis.jpg

This one is a rooted cutting:

Impatiens namchabarwensis Sunnvyale.jpg

Is it a heavy shade grower? (You mentioned deepest canyon ...)

Quite a bit of shade. These seedlings have actually been in full shade. I just moved them to where they get some morning sun.

They should grow a bit over the course of the auction. I'll try to update photos at some point.

Last edited:
This item has been paid, please arrange shipping

Back