What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. lusitanica

glider14

Always a newbie
is slowwwwwwwwwwwww ??? it germinated about a month ago and has the cotelydons and 2 normal leaves. any idea to why it is like this? i though it would be a much faster grower than this!!!!!!
Alex

no one? at this rate i wouldnt be surprised that it would last more than a year!
Alex

Nutrients and light. Like most plants it will not grow without sufficient nutrients.

its growing in the same mix my other pings do... maby its to many nutrients. the mix has vermiculite and is for mexican pings. whats the best medium to put it in?
Alex

whats the temp you are growing in? that has affected the growth of my young pings dramatically this winter.

i pot half of my esseriana cuttings in milled LFS, and half in pure vermiculite. the LFS cuttings grew nearly 4x faster then those in vermiculite.

i think it has something to do with they way they were able to actually take root in the LFS. but thats just my amature speculation.

temps are around 60 at night and 70-75 in the day.
Alex

its growing in the same mix my other pings do... maby its to many nutrients. the mix has vermiculite and is for mexican pings. whats the best medium to put it in?
Alex
Vermiculite ≠ nutrients. Vermiculite = no nutrients. Zero nitrogen, zero phosphorus, and zero potassium.

My understanding is that 100% sphagnum peat moss is good, also this can be mixed with a little coarse silica sand, or perlite. Depends on your growing conditions and experience. I am growing mine in many different media mixtures, with varied success, but I am a chronic tinkerer. My tinkering shows that they grow better the more percent of plain peat moss in the media. I also mist my small plants and the surface of the media near them with a light spray of a 40 ppm solution of "Peters Professional 20-20-20 with micronutrients" and light them with cool white fluorescent shoplights.

yes. i transplanted it into some peat moss. ill give an update if i see any major progress.
Alex

Back