What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. esseriana 'Giant'

Pinguicula esseriana 'Giant' has been in my collection since June of 2008.

IMG_9686-7.jpg

It is most likely the largest of the P. esseriana species varieties, with these rosettes shown above measuring just over an inch in diameter.

IMG_9698-8.jpg

These mexi-pings are colorful and possess a uniformly compact growth structure, making them one of the prettier Mexican butterwort species available commercially.

dvg

very nice pings

Beautiful plant!

Very nice looking!

It really is a nice looking plant. Good photo's too.

suite

nice plant and colour.

why 'geant' ? +/- 3cm is the maxi standard of this specie .

for me esseriana have no variety , and this one are just P.esseriana

here a P.jaumavensis (2.5cm)

jau.JPG

jeff

Last edited:
dvg- do you have any of the "normal" P. esseriana in your collection to take a comparison picture with for us?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff, this plant was purchased as P. esseriana 'Giant' through CZ Plants back in 2008.

Unfortunately, it looks like it is no longer in stock there, but perhaps you could contact them with any questions you might have regarding it origins and species status.

CZ Plants used to have a vast array of Pinguicula species and hybrids, and the bulk of my mexi-ping collection was built through purchases through them and Best Carnivorous Plants, but it seems that they have cut back considerably from what they used to carry.

Unstuckintime, i've seen considerable variation in shape , color and rosette size in P. esseriana specimens in my collection, from tiny green pine cone shaped rosettes, to small clumping, looser arranged rosettes in comparison to the 'Giant' type.

I can't recall at the moment if i have any pics of those in my Photobucket pages, but if i have time later, i'll have a quick look and post them if i find them there.

dvg

Last edited:
I checked, you don't have any pics of the regular kind in your 24 pages very nice plants tho

I checked, you don't have any pics of the regular kind in your 24 pages very nice plants tho

Well that doesn't surprise me.

I don't take photos of every plant in my collection and only occasionally do updates unless something catches my eye or i think it may be of interest to others.

And having a dial-up connection tends to limit the number of pics i post at one time or if i even have the luxury of that time to post pics.

dvg

suite

some of mine all between 2.5-4 cm ' normal' or in the superior limit to the standard

esseriana11.JPG

esseriana1.JPG

esseriana.JPG

for me P.jaumavensis is nearly from the P.esseriana , throat slightly different

some others nearly from the esseriana specie but with a throat different
x 'Florian'
x'florian'1.JPG

debbertiana 'rose'
debrose.JPG

3 ecotypes from ehlersiae
santa catarina
ehcat.JPG

santa gertrudis
ehger.JPG

tolontogo
ehltolan.JPG

jeff

Same plants, but less than a month later, these two have responded well to watering and a couple of tropical springtail feedings, by showing visibly more growth.

IMG_0037-1PesserianaGiant.jpg

dvg

Beautiful. Looks like echeveria.

Beautiful. Looks like echeveria.

Thanks, i can see how these rosettes resemble an Echeveria...maybe E. elegans?

A couple of pics from today...

IMG_0687-Pesseriana-Giant.jpg

And from the side, these rosettes kinda look like compressed pine cones.

IMG_0700-Pesseriana-Giant.jpg
;)

dvg

They look great dvg, and much larger than the P. esseriana I have.

Thanks, i can see how these rosettes resemble an Echeveria...maybe E. elegans?

A couple of pics from today...

IMG_0687-Pesseriana-Giant.jpg

And from the side, these rosettes kinda look like compressed pine cones.

IMG_0700-Pesseriana-Giant.jpg
;)

dvg

stunning!

kissin'

Since the last update, these two rosettes have nuzzled closer to one another.

IMG_1996-P-esseriana-Giant.jpg

From the side, these ping's leaves are neatly stacked, layer upon layer.

IMG_2010-P-esseriana-Giant.jpg

These two have really taken off, after being fed fairly regularly, over the last three months. :cool:

dvg

Back on October 1, 2011, i took some leaf pullings and then on November 1, i placed the strikes from those pullings in this 4" pot.

Here are the resultant plants along with an odd looking green mass of baby pinglets, in the centre, from one of the strikes.

IMG_2292-P-esseriana-Giant-leaf-pull-results.jpg

dvg

Are you growing these in straight gravel?

Back