What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

overwintering saracenias outdoors in the midwest Zone 5a

What's the proper way to overwinter saracenias outdoors in Zone 5a (-20F). I have leuco,rubra and readii. Shall I just play safe and put them in the fridge for 3 months ?

I just got the readii from Lance (no roots). Do I still let it go dormant or shall I let it grow out some roots and forgo the dormancy this year ? Thanks for any info.

I doubt they would be able to survive in pots exposed to the bare elements.

If they are in the ground in a minibog you may be able to leave them there. But I have no experience with minibogs so can't really offer any advice.

I live in Zone 5 and store my plants in an insulated garage for the winter. I leave them outside as long as I can and don't bring them in the garage until it stays at or near freezing day and night. Early to mid November I think. I also try to get them outside any day above freezing for fresh air and sunlight to try to prevent fungus and mold.

The fridge method works to, but again no experience in that area.

Back