What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overgrown Orchid!

• Thread starter Vbkid
  • Start date

Vbkid

Getting There...
Probably 8 years ago I went to a local orchid show. Bought a small plant, maybe 4 inches tall. This is it today. The stakes are about a meter long for reference. Hasn't bloomed for me ever, but it seems pretty happy I guess? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_094154560.jpg
    IMG_20221118_094154560.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 14
It seems healthy enough. Generally when an orchid or just about any plant that doesn’t bloom, it’s due to lack of enough light. It would help if you had the species or hybrid name.

Lighting is frequently not the trigger factor for tropical epiphytic orchids. Photoperiod, or temperature, or moisture levels more often.

Honestly, I lost the tag long ago. Not too worried, it's been a fun one to grow, just trying to keep it happy and alive!

It is definitely a Dendrobium, beyond that, can't really tell until we see flowers.
Congrats with it and good luck with blooms!

Looks like a Den. Joe is quite correct, generally if an Orchid isn't blooming a lack of sufficient light is often part of the problem. Many of the dens are ones desiring full sun for at least a good part of the day. And yours is stretching for the light. If you could keep it outside at least spring through fall, the change in temps and photoperiod could help trigger blooming.

I will absolutely put it out next spring!

Back