What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Osmocote, showing some promising results!

mikefallen13

Mr. veitchii
Hey guys,
I just wanted to share the results of Osmocote fertilization on a nepenthes. I've long been skeptical of the effectiveness (and necessity) to fertilize nepenthes, I used Maxsea in the past with mixed results, some plants outright died or produced strange, mutated leaves while others seemed to benefit from it. This time I decided to try Osmocote (the balanced formula), the test subject would be my oldest nepenthes, a maxima that's been growing as a houseplant since I bought it almost 6 years ago. I decided to follow the directions that most recommended online so about a month ago I dropped a pellet into each pitcher. Contrary to some reports, none of the pitchers are showing any signs of burn from the ferts, though this plant has 6" pitchers so I could see smaller pitchers getting burned due to the higher concentration. I wasn't really expecting too much, especially this quickly but the results speak for themselves...

The power of osmocote (N. maxima sulawesi HL) by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

I'm definitely going to try fertilizing some of my other neps with these pellets! Out of curiosity, is anyone else using Osmocote pellets and if so what have your results been?

My experience with Osmocote has been that it's fine at first, but may later burn. The lower part of the pitcher, the "digestion zone," can handle the nutrients, but the upper part of the pitcher can't (depending on species of course - the open-top pitchers like jamban or lowii should be able to handle it.) If the pitcher fills up with enough fluid, which can happen naturally over time, then the upper parts of the pitcher will burn. I never noticed it helping plant growth much either but I never really did a proper test. I feel like I've been getting better results with betta food pellets, and without the risk of pitcher burn.

I recently tried osmocote (plus) because I've been curious about their effectiveness. I noticed a definite leaf jump with betta pellets and bloodworms myself, but I haven't seen as many praises for them. If betta pellets and bloodworms turn out to be on par with osmocote I'd definitely stick to the former, but it would be worth using osmocote if there's a definite advantage.

I have used fish pellets and bloodworms with drosera before but not with nepenthes, it definitely works! I'd love to do an experiment testing Osmocote, Maxsea, and fish pellets/bloodworms against each other to compare any differences in growth. I'm thinking about placing an order with a certain German nursery within the next week, maybe I'll order 4-5 of the same TC clone and give this a try.

Last edited:
This may be a little off subject but I have used Osmocote with Sarracenia, particularly with large pitchers and never noticed any negative effects. Since these plants are outside they are subject to rain which could dilute pitcher fluids and create lower concentrations of fertilizer in them. I have seen increased growth with my S. purpurea, but that thing is a tank.

You're feeding pitchers with Osmocote? Interesting. I've had success dosing with time-release pellets, but not sure I ever heard of anyone feeding with them. Guess it makes sense. Anybody know how it compares elementally to more conventional foods?
~Joe

I've fed Neps and Helis with osmocote and dilute orchid fertilizer; can't say whether it helped for the helis but both treatments (on their own, or together) definitely improved growth for my neps

I have used fish pellets and bloodworms with drosera before but not with nepenthes, it definitely works! I'd love to do an experiment testing Osmocote, Maxsea, and fish pellets/bloodworms against each other to compare any differences in growth. I'm thinking about placing an order with a certain German nursery within the next week, maybe I'll order 4-5 of the same TC clone and give this a try.

Definitely keep us updated if you do :D

Has any one tried, miracle gro slow release pellets?

Mark

Last edited:
Cheers for the info, do you know in what way they are toxic to nepenthes?

Mark

Ill have to look again, but as a general rule Miracle grow is toxic to all carnivorous plants.
also IMO, Miracle grow is just complete garbage

Yeah, miracle grow is pretty much garbage IME. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for use on CP's.

I'm going to be placing an order with wistuba tonight so I'll pick out an inexpensive, easy to grow species to do my little experiment.

I've seen leaf jumps on Nepenthes boschiana and Nepenthes burkei using Osmocote, although one of the burkei pitchers was burned. I also used Maxsea though, so I'm not sure which one to attribute it to. By the way, I have used Osmocote pellets on pitchers about an inch tall with no adverse effects.

I tried osmocote + and my Nep is growing well but it burnt the the two pitchers i put it in. I don't know if its because they were to small yet or what.

Back