What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering in dormancy?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I've been starting threads like crazy lately and here's another one. I've been wanting to order some vft's online, but they would arrive in dormancy. Is this any more risky/problematic than ordering out of dormancy? Thanks in advance for your help.

The only risk I can think of is plants potentially getting damaged by cold in the mail although this can easily be avoided. I prefer to order dormant plants since it's less of a shock since they aren't actively growing.

Thanks for the help. Now to pick a cultivar.

I agree with the above. Avoid extreme cold. Other than that the only concern I can think of this time of year is if they are coming out of dormancy already and your temps are still really low. But that's coming from someone who lives in CT and has another 2-2.5 months of winter left.

Ordering plants in dormancy is easier on the the plants, they don't go into shock.( usually)

Back