What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering from allen lowrie

Has anyone ordered seeds/tubers from Allan Lowrie? Does he supply a phytosanitary permit? Just wondering if anyone has had any experience ordering from him.

Thanks

I just got some seeds as a small part of a group order. I was told everything is done as required. There are bad reports about the viability of some of the seed and his spelling and knowledge of US geography aren't what they should be. My Sarracenia seeds are still stratifying and I'll report on my success or lack thereof in a couple months.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully some others will post.

Oh! I would love to post! I got over a hundred dollars worth of location seed from Lowrie through the BACPS. They arrived, very few seeds for the price but I was happy to have gotten the seed. Cites permits were handled, photosanitary certificates, the whole nine yards. The seed was stratified as to usual procedures, and all that. The seed was put down on December 26th. To date, not a single strike. Now these are sarracenia seed, no other. So far as I know, no one at the BACPS who bought seed from Lowrie (sarrs), no one has had a single strike. Don't waste your money on this program or you will regret it. Other seed of my own was treated the same, put down at the same time, and has sprouted all over the place. Lowrie's seed has proven to be bogus with me and many others. Beware where you spend your money.

I don't have any first hand experience with ordering from him but I have heard many stories the same as Bugweeds. Personally I wouldn't take the chance.

that sounds wierd I wont order from him, but it sounds as if he is making extra effort to make sure the seeds dont sprout

Glenn,

I participated in a Lowrie group order in which I received some petiolaris-complex Drosera seed and D. ascendens. Few seeds were sent (perhaps 15-25 per packet) but most of what I got germinated well. I think the success of your order depends mostly on the seeds you select; petiolaris seeds lose viability slowly and the D. ascendens I bought was just added to his list. I wouldn't order Dionaea, Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Nepenthes or most Utricularia species from him with high expectations.

If you do decide to order from Lowrie and would like to combine orders to save on shipping, please contact me. I would like to get more seeds from his list.

Glenn,

I'm sure that he never throws out old stock as he has listed seed from a variety of drosera for many years now even though I am certain that he isn't being resupplied with fresh seed from this particular plant.
As Forbes points out, if you select the right seed then you should expect good germination and of course the tubers are always a success (for the first year anyway
smile_l_32.gif
).
Have ordered from Allen for years and have always been very pleased with what I ended up with.

Brian

When I order seed from Allen (usually at the end of each year) I am careful to only order the species that have been added to his catalogue in the current year. He also produces an additions list at the end of each year which only has recently obtained seed.

I have always had good germination of most species when I am careful about what I order. Recently I received a good selection of South African and petiolaris Drosera. I have had germination with almost all of them.

In regards to his knowledge of US geography, the reason for the incorrect names on the seed is because the seed he receives from other growers is labelled this way- often by collectors from the US!

Seed numbers are often quite low, but I am always prepared to pay the money for the small amount of seeds in the hope of adding a rare species to my collection.

No complaints here.

Back