What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchids to combine in carnivorous bog gardens?

• Thread starter Mimulus59
  • Start date
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. Any is appreciated. I live in zone 10, Los Angeles, Calif with medium humidity and ocean influence, temps range from 40 to 90ish, mostly 60 to 80. Avg rainfall is 12 inches, almost all in December to February, possibly stretching out to April. I want to make some combo bog pots and large tubs. Small ones could be brought inside in the winter but it's not much warmer than outside. I would prefer ones that are pretty much self sustaining (dont have a lot of time for picky plants or to fuss with them) except for watering and fertilizing. I like creating natural ecosystems, if possible.

Can anyone recommend any orchids or other plants that would do well in combo with any of the carnivores?

There are a number of ones to choose from such a members of the genus Platanthera. Can't give you any personal recommendations as I have never grown the bog types. A Google search for "bog orchids.," I suspect, will yield a number of venues for you to search.

Can anyone recommend any orchids or other plants that would do well in combo with any of the carnivores?
For Orchids, look into:

Habenaria repens
Calopogon tuberosa
Pogonia ophioglossoides
Spiranthes cernua
Habenaria radiata
Platanthera ciliaris

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I will check them out. Do you grow any of these yourself?

Thank you! I will check them out. Do you grow any of these yourself?

Not yet, but I'm thinking about growing some in an indoor pond I'm putting together. :)

Last edited:
Oooh, an indoor pond! Sounds wonderful. Please post photos of set up and after completion. Would love to see it. I have outdoor water tubs with plants but havent gotten to creating the actual pond. Right now just a big hole,

Back