What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Cactus help pleas!

I got some clipping from a customer of min. He said to just place the in soil and they would root. I did what he said and its not looking good. I had it under a small cfl woth some of my other plants that seem to be doing well with it. I thought it might be getting to much light so I moved it with no improvement. Can one one give me some tips I have never had this kind of cactus. Here is a pic hope it helps . You cant see it vary well from the pick but the smaller stems look for soft and are just sort of saging over the side.

It looks like some sort of Night blooming cereus.
Generally, these plants are very easy to root.
usually sticking them in soil does the trick.

if you really want to get things rolling, stick them in a cup of water.
just make sure to keep cuttings WET

Looks very much like my Epiphyllum, I rooted mine in moist sphagnum and it worked a treat

It looks like some sort of Night blooming cereus.
Generally, these plants are very easy to root.
usually sticking them in soil does the trick.

if you really want to get things rolling, stick them in a cup of water.
just make sure to keep cuttings WET

When you say keep them wet do you mean spray them down?

They like moisture so keep the soil from drying out, unlike what you might expect from a cactus. Epiphyllums are vining jungle type cacti. Good luck to you...maybe when I'm at home I can post a few pictures of some of my epiphyllum blooms.

When you say keep them wet do you mean spray them down?

keep them wet.
throw them on a bed of SOAKING spahgnum and cover
Throw them in a humidity dome
Cover them in wet paper towels
throw them in a cup/vase of water

any of these. Spraying wont do anything

Ok I'll put them in a cup af water. I'm going to get one of those indoor green houses soon would it do well in there ?

Depends what you do with it.

I bought 2 of those indoor greenhouses, and retro fit them to hold humididty
and grow Nepenthes.

if you set it up just out of the box, probably wont do too much.

I had a Night blooming cereus root, and absolutely take over my terrarium a few years ago.
they love moisture and humidity

Depends what you do with it.

I bought 2 of those indoor greenhouses, and retro fit them to hold humididty
and grow Nepenthes.

if you set it up just out of the box, probably wont do too much.

I had a Night blooming cereus root, and absolutely take over my terrarium a few years ago.
they love moisture and humidity

That was the plant for it(Nepenthes). what did you have to do to retrofit it? I was going to Neps and sundews in it and a few other thing like Orchids,Butterworts ect.

That was the plant for it(Nepenthes). what did you have to do to retrofit it? I was going to Neps and sundews in it and a few other thing like Orchids,Butterworts ect.

I may have to make a guide in the future, I took a bunch of pictures to show how but heres the jist of it.

you have 4 racks on that greenhouse.

Top rack - Put AT LEAST 4 - 2 foot T5H0 bulbs on this rack. this will provide sufficient lighting.

Next rack down (3) - I advise not to grow anything on this shelf. I had 4 Nepenthes, 2 moss pots, and 3 pygmy pots on this shelf.
The dews absolutely love it there, as did my truncata, However the more picky species such as Hamata did not like it because that shelf gets
pretty warm from the lights. And the more you put on this shelf, the more you CANT put on the next shelf down.

Rack #2 - IMO this is the best rack to have your plants, especially nepenthes. It will stay cool enough, they will get sufficient light AND room to grow.
(the more stuff you put on the shelf above it takes away light from this rack, so if you can, keep the top rack clear.)

Rack # 1 Floor level - Leave it completely blank. Nothing should go down here.
Its usually very very dark down here and not even moss can grow. it also will serve was the water reservoir/Catcher.

You will need to get 2 jumbo trash bags. Set one out where you will put the greenhouse.
Put the greenhouse on top of the trash bag, then neatly fold it around the bottom of the greenhouse,
like plastic oragami. Youre aiming for it to look like a big plastic tray. Tape it very securely on the plastic cover, and on the rods
with STRONG duct tape.
then, open the greenhouse, and do it again, except on the inside portion.

When you humidify for the first time, DUMP humididty in there and search around the greenhouse
for any mist escaping. if any moisture gets out, you risk making a mold farm on your walls and in your carpet
so make sure you have it SEALED. Also, leave a quarter sized hole somewhere in the plastic sheeting at the bottom so
you can get your cords out.

I may have to make a guide in the future, I took a bunch of pictures to show how but heres the jist of it.

you have 4 racks on that greenhouse.

Top rack - Put AT LEAST 4 - 2 foot T5H0 bulbs on this rack. this will provide sufficient lighting.

Next rack down (3) - I advise not to grow anything on this shelf. I had 4 Nepenthes, 2 moss pots, and 3 pygmy pots on this shelf.
The dews absolutely love it there, as did my truncata, However the more picky species such as Hamata did not like it because that shelf gets
pretty warm from the lights. And the more you put on this shelf, the more you CANT put on the next shelf down.

Rack #2 - IMO this is the best rack to have your plants, especially nepenthes. It will stay cool enough, they will get sufficient light AND room to grow.
(the more stuff you put on the shelf above it takes away light from this rack, so if you can, keep the top rack clear.)

Rack # 1 Floor level - Leave it completely blank. Nothing should go down here.
Its usually very very dark down here and not even moss can grow. it also will serve was the water reservoir/Catcher.

You will need to get 2 jumbo trash bags. Set one out where you will put the greenhouse.
Put the greenhouse on top of the trash bag, then neatly fold it around the bottom of the greenhouse,
like plastic oragami. Youre aiming for it to look like a big plastic tray. Tape it very securely on the plastic cover, and on the rods
with STRONG duct tape.
then, open the greenhouse, and do it again, except on the inside portion.

When you humidify for the first time, DUMP humididty in there and search around the greenhouse
for any mist escaping. if any moisture gets out, you risk making a mold farm on your walls and in your carpet
so make sure you have it SEALED. Also, leave a quarter sized hole somewhere in the plastic sheeting at the bottom so
you can get your cords out.

Just to see if I got this strait... bag on the outside , bag on the inside then a deep tray to catch water and hold water?

Back