What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion on LED's

No excperince here with LED's but i would suggest some CFL light bubls or some flourescent lights.

I have seen LED's used on legal Cannabis Gardens....the advertisements are much better than the actual results.:-(
Most folks go back to T5's or HID.

I've "tried" two different LED types. The first was a set of seven huge traffic stop light sized bulbs (four reds and 3 blues). I plugged one in of each color and laughed real hard and put them back in the box. I never actually tried them over plants they seemed so ridiculous (and expensive! :( ).

The latest one I actually tried is a 12" x 12" panel of a couple hundred white (daylight) LEDs it kept my orchids alive for about six months but in the last month or so they've just went kaput, everything in that tank is now dead. I have read similar things from nano-Reef tank keepers who say their corals do real well under LEDs for about 6-12 months then they suddenly begin to die so I don't think I'll be experimenting with any more LEDs (sure I say that now... ). I was lured into T5 High Output and I just love em!

I came across these LED's and I just want any ones opinion on these or LED's in general.

As I have tested, LEDs in general are a very good and efficient way of plant lighting.

Unfortunately, all of the ready-to-use LED "grow panels" are heavily overpriced. And overrated in many cases. And pure China crap in many cases.

The main problem of ready-to-use grow panels ist, that those are built from the cheapest LEDs on the market, not from the best. So many customers are not satisfied with such lights when used for plants with high demands of light.

I can only recommend to solder do-it-yourself LED lights, using the best and most efficient LEDs on the market.

My growing experience with LEDs is about two years now. But as high efficient LEDs are not cheap, I only use them in very small setups (5 watt) or even just for "one plant in one glass" (1 LED = 1 Watt = 1 plant). The LEDs I use are CREE XR-E "cool-white", and depending on the temperature you can keep (at least) Cephalotus, Dionaea, different Drosera, Utricularia and Nepenthes under such lights.

But compared with fluorescent lamps you cannot save as much light as it is often claimed by the sellers of LED grow panels.

My estimate is, that it depends mostly on the type and quality of the reflectors used with fluorescent lamps, how much electricity you can save using LEDs instead:

Using no reflectors with your fluorescents at all: LEDs can provide same light with 50% less electrical energy
Using bad or blind reflectors with your fluorescents: LEDs can provide same light with 25% less electrical energy
Using brand-new and best optimized reflectors with your fluorescents: LEDs can provide same light with same electrical energy

At the moment, I see advantages for LED lighting only for very small setups, as the lights take very little headroom: A CREE XR-E on a hex shaped mounting plate is about 6 mm thick, and if you glue that onto a 3 mm cooling plate the total hight of the light is about 10 mm (less than half of an inch).

BTW: The panel you are interested in has "3 Built-In Cooling Fans", do you like lights that constantly make noise when in use? I prefer noiseless passive cooling with big metal cooling elements and no fans.

Quality HO LED's are expensive and very heat sensitive... most prefab Red/Blue units have very poor spectra, poor blending ( a bigger issue then most realize) a total lack of optics and poor output.

If you have a "centerpiece" plant and want a focused type display, or maybe if you want to supplement your main lighting system then they may be a good choice but you've got to do your homework and bring some coin.

The day may come when LED's will be the light of choice for the average hobbyist..... but not yet

A top quality, programmable spectra unit from Orbitec (like the one NASA is experiementing with) is approx $700USD for a module smaller then your hand (Drool LOL)

Last edited:
plasma

is going to be the next big lighting step in the grow world.
The size of a kernel of corn, with the intesity of a small sun.
The "bulb' is suspended in a magnetic induction chamber.
The temp of the bulb can reach around 1000* F I believe ( it was a ridiculous number), but the outer unit can be handled. I will try to find that link on my other home site and post it here. Very interesting development in indoor plant lighting.

I dunno...

Ive looked into those a little, and they are interesting. However, the heat generation is a major inefficiency (electromagnetic radiation in non usable wavelengths) ...

The ideal light would generate no heat :)

(The main benefit of LED's BTW, less efficiency losses due to heat... their output goes down with a rise in delta T)

Thanks for the help. It seems like LED is too much of a headache and not worth the hassle but hopefully someday they will come out with something that will work. For now I'll stick to the T-5. Thanks!

Back